FORT MYERS, Fla. — Here are a few Red Sox updates after the day off:
• SS Stephen Drew (concussion) is still having symptoms a week after being hit in the head by a pitch and will not work out today, as was hoped. He will undergo more testing today.
• LHP Franklin Morales (back) was sent back to Boston to be checked. John Farrell said he was waiting for a report. You can count on Morales starting the season on the DL.
• LHP Craig Breslow (shoulder) is throwing from 90 feet today but there is no date set for his throwing off the mound. Farrell said progress has been slow as the process includes building strength in the shoulder.
Speculation: This could be a long-term issue. When a player has gone a month in spring training without being able to throw off a mound, that is more than soreness. The odd part of this was that Breslow was signed to a two-year deal in January and that presumably included a physical.
• RHP Joel Hanrahan returned to camp following the birth of his first child. He will throw a bullpen today.
• Farrell and the coaching staff will handle both ends of the split-squad day/night doubleheader on Friday. Minor leaguers going to Sarasota include Bryce Brentz, Travis Shaw, Deven Marrero, Jeremy Hazelbaker and Juan Carlos Linares.