< Back to front page Text size +

Fenway sellout streak likely to end Wednesday

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff  April 9, 2013 05:26 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Red Sox officials said Tuesday that unless something unusual happens, the team’s sellout streak at Fenway Park will come to an end Wednesday.

The vaunted streak reached 794 games (820 counting the postseason) on Monday when the Sox beat the Baltimore Orioles, 3-1, in their home opener. But a crowd of around 30,000 — about 7,000 short of capacity — is expected Wednesday.

The streak is the longest in baseball history. The record for major league sports teams in the United States is 814 by the Portland Trail Blazers from 1977-95.

The Sox last failed to sell out a home game on May 14, 2003, when a crowd of 32,485 saw a victory against the Texas Rangers. Outside of David Ortiz, every active Red Sox player has played only before sellout crowds at Fenway.

The issue of what constituted a sellout arose in recent seasons when hundreds of empty seats were apparent at games. The Sox said last year that they base their attendance on the number of tickets distributed, not actual attendance at the game.

That number includes 800 complimentary tickets donated to charities or given to others. Standing room tickets also are counted. This is common practice around baseball.

Also:

• David Ortiz played in an extended spring training game for a second consecutive day in Fort Myers, Fla., and was 2 for 4 with two singles. Ortiz is expected to play in a third game Wednesday before starting an injury rehabilitation assignment with Triple A Pawtucket Thursday.

• RHP Matt Barnes, one of the organization's top pitching prospects, made his Double A debut Monday and pitched only one inning. He allowed two runs on two hits with a walk and three strikeouts. Because he threw 33 pitches in that one inning, Barnes was taken out of the game because of an organizational rule designed to protect young pitchers from injury when they exceed 30 pitches in an inning.

• Jon Rish, who filled in on Red Sox broadcasts on WEEI and hosted and pregame and postgame shows, resigned from the station Monday rather than take a pay cut. Here's the story from Chad Finn.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

archives

browse this blog

by category