< Back to front page Text size +

Victorino leaves game with stiff back

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff  April 24, 2013 10:13 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Right fielder Shane Victorino left Wednesday's 6-5 Red Sox win over the Athletics after the sixth inning with a sore lower back, the same injury that caused him to miss two games over the weekend.

Victorino barely jogged to first when he grounded out in the sixth. He was working with physical therapist Dan Dyrek on his back before the game and was 1 for 3 with an RBI double before aggravating the injury.

Manager John Farrell said Victorino’s back tightened up but did not seem as bad as it was previously. He will be evaluated again Thursday.

Also:

• Jon Lester is 4-0. He didn't win his fourth game until June 16 last season. The Sox are 9-0 in games started by Lester and Clay Buchholz. The duo is 8-0 with a 1.61 ERA

• David Ortiz has an unusual 16-game hitting streak, his longest as a member of the Red Sox. It started in July, included one game in August, and now has gone four games in April. He is 8 of 16 since coming off the disabled list.

• Jacoby Ellsbury is 10 for 10 on stolen bases in 21 games. He had 14 in 74 games last season.

• Plate umpire Jerry Layne took a foul tip off his left hand in the third inning and left the game an inning later. Second base arbiter Mike Estabrook went behind the plate to start the fourth inning.

• Security officials at Fenway Park are closely examining all bags and checking fans with hand-held metal detectors in the wake of the Marathon bombings. Give yourself some extra time if you’re coming to a game.

• Special assistant to the general manager Jason Varitek is spending time with Single A Salem this week. The primary catcher there, Blake Swihart, is one of the organization’s best prospects.

• It was 64 degrees and sunny at first pitch. That was a big change from Tuesday night, when it was 42 and raining. The Red Sox offered free tickets to those fans who attended (or skipped) Tuesday’s sodden affair. The team said 1,399 took the offer on Wednesday. The offer was also good for Thursday.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

archives

browse this blog

by category