SEATTLE — The Red Sox optioned rookie righthander Allen Webster back to Pawtucket a day after he allowed seven runs over 2.1 innings. Righthander Alfredo Aceves also was sent back to Pawtucket.
Righthanders Pedro Beato and Steven Wright were recalled from Pawtucket.
Webster had been scheduled to start on Sunday at Oakland.
“To be determined,” said Farrell when asked who will face the Athletics.
Webster had a 9.57 earned run average in six starts. He has given up 11 runs in the first inning alone.
“As much as we felt like Allen was making solid progress and solid strides over the last couple of starts, that first inning has been a challenge for him,” Farrell said. “To break it down further, the consistency of his fastball usage to both sides of the plate and executing that pitch is a fundamental area that has to be improved upon.”
Farrell mentioned Wright or Brandon Workman as candidates to start on Sunday. The Red Sox also could make another roster move. They are carrying an extra position player, outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.
Bradley may soon be headed back to Pawtucket Jacoby Ellsbury was back in the lineup Wednesday after missing two games with a sore left wrist.
The move to drop Aceves was odd given that he threw only 13 pitches on Tuesday.
“By all accounts that we have, he is not injured,” Farrell said. “I will say this: he felt some soreness in his left side before he came up here. But he was available to pitch and he was available to continue to pitch [Tuesday] night.”
• Clay Buchholz, who has not pitched since June 8 because of a sore neck and shoulder, threw 25 pitches in the bullpen and had no setbacks. He is scheduled for another bullpen session on Friday, likely a longer one. If that goes well, he would start for Pawtucket on Sunday afternoon. Buchholz would probably need at least two minor league starts before rejoining the Red Sox rotation.
• Lefthander Andrew Miller received a second opinion on his injured left foot and it was confirmed that season-ending surgery is required. Miller tore a ligament against the Angels on Saturday. The surgery is expected to be in Boston in the coming days.
• Righthanded reliever Alex Wilson, who went on the disabled list Tuesday with a sprained right thumb, has only inflammation and will be shut down for four or five days. The Sox initially feared he had a more serious injury.
• Backup catcher David Ross, out with a concussion since June 18, saw a specialist on Tuesday. He continues to improve and could return to the team by the end of the month. The Sox do expect Ross to play again this season but he is not eligible to come off the disabled list until mid-August.
• Shane Victorino started again in right field. But he is expected to get a day off on Thursday as the Red Sox play a day game to end the series.
• Koji Uehara dropped in fourth place in the voting for the final spot on the American League All-Star team. On-line fan voting ends at 4 p.m. (ET) on Thursday. Toronto reliever Steve Delabar leads the voting.
• Fenway Park’s Mike Walsh was selected by Aramark as an “All-Star Vendor” for the All-Star Game. Walsh is a 25-year-old from Allston.
• Red Sox prospect Anthony Ranaudo started in the Eastern League All-Star game in New Britain, Conn. The righthander walked three and allowed a three-run homer in his one inning. Catcher Christian Vazquez and third baseman Michael Almanzar also started the game.