< Back to front page Text size +

Red Sox set rotation for next week

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff  July 14, 2013 10:03 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

OAKLAND, Calif. — The Red Sox are dropping Opening Day starter Jon Lester back in their rotation once they return from the All-Star break.

Manager John Farrell said Sunday that his rotation for the Yankees series that starts Friday at Fenway Park would be Felix Doubront, John Lackey, and then Lester.

Ryan Dempster would start the fourth game after the break. The Red Sox haven’t named their fifth starter. But rookie righthander Brandon Workman likely earned another shot after carrying a no-hitter into the seventh inning of a 3-2, 11-inning loss against Oakland on Sunday.

Farrell wanted to use his two lefthanded starters against the Yankees with a righthander in the middle. Lester is 2-6 with a 6.27 earned run average in his last 11 starts. Doubront is 3-2 with a 2.70 ERA in his last 11 starts.

The Yankees will start Andy Pettitte, Hiroki Kuroda, and CC Sabathia in the series.

Also:

• The Red Sox passed righthander Alfredo Aceves through waivers and outrighted him to Triple A Pawtucket. He is now off the 40-man roster. Aceves is 4-1 with a 4.86 ERA in 11 major league appearances.

That means the 29 other teams passed on him. Something fishy happened in Seattle on Tuesday when Aceves threw 13 pitches and didn't come out for the inning. Farrell said Aceves was not hurt but had some pain in his side.

Bottom line: The Sox felt him expendable.

• Just an observation: Farrell didn't have too much to say about Clay Buchholz's bullpen session other than to say he completed it. This process is not going remotely like the Sox originally thought. If he pitches before the end of the month, it will be a surprise at this point.

• The Red Sox are off for four days before facing the Yankees on Friday. Under the terms if the collective bargaining agreement, the Sox cannot hold a mandatory workout on Thursday. But the park will be open late in the afternoon for any players who want to work out.

• Stephen Drew, out since June 29 with a right hamstring strain, will start a minor league rehabilitation assignment with Double A Portland on Thursday. He will DH the first game then play shortstop on Friday. Barring something unexpected, Drew would rejoin the Red Sox on Saturday. Farrell has said that Drew will return to shortstop once he is activated and Jose Iglesias will move back to third base.

• Home plate umpire Todd Tichenor ejected Jonny Gomes in the ninth inning. Gomes was at the plate when he asked for time. It was not granted and he struck out swinging at a pitch from Grant Balfour. Gomes argued the decision and was ejected for the first time since June 5, 2008.

• In recognition of his setting the record for most hits by a designated hitter last week, the Red Sox players presented David Ortiz with a six-liter bottle of 2008 Orin Swift "Mercury Head" Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. All of the players signed the bottle, which has a Mercury Head dime imbedded in it. Gomes, who is a wine connoisseur, had the bottle delivered from Napa Valley to Oakland Coliseum.

• The Sox finished 3-3 against the Athletics this season. Wonder if they'll see them again?

• Jose Iglesias was 8 for 39 (.205) on the road trip.

• Koji Uehara, who pitched two scoreless innings, has been dominant since being named the closer in late June. In 12 games and 12.1 innings, he has allowed one earned run on five hits with one walk and 18 strikeouts.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

archives

browse this blog

by category