The Red Sox have two of their key players — center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury and catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia — out of the lineup for tonight’s game against the Detroit Tigers.
Ellsbury has a bone bruise and swelling in his left hand, a condition that caused him to leave Sunday’s game. He played Monday but took himself out of the lineup early this afternoon.
Ellsbury has been icing his left hand after games for several weeks. The issue worsened over the weekend.
“He was jammed pretty good [on Sunday] and the bat kind of jammed into that thumb/palm area of the his left hand,” manager John Farrell said. “Once again [Monday] and felt like today was a day he needed to try to get ahead of it.”
Ellsbury is 5 for 9 with a double and a home run against Detroit starter Max Scherzer.
Farrell said the injury is something Ellsbury will have to manage the rest of the season. The Sox expect him to return to the lineup on Wednesday.
Saltalamacchia has a sore lower back and is expected to miss “two or three days” according to Farrell.
“That’s what we have planned for him over the next three days,” Farrell said. “Over the past three or four days, it started to rear its head a little bit more than some general soreness guys are dealing with. Throughout the course of [Monday’s] game, it became a little bit more apparent that he needed a little bit of a breather.”
Saltalamacchia is hitless in his last 14 at-bats, partially as a result of the back issue. Farrell said his throwing has been affected, too.
“I’ve been dealing with some physical things,” Saltalamacchia said on Monday.
Saltalamacchia has caught 900 1/3 innings this season, the most of his career and fourth most in the American League. Saltalamacchia started 46 of the first 70 games behind the plate as the Red Sox liberally used backup David Ross.
Ross went on the disabled list on June 15 because of a concussion and did not return until Aug. 19. Through Monday, Saltalamacchia caught 54 of 69 games.
• Clay Buchholz will make his third — and final — minor league rehabilitation start for Triple A Pawtucket in Rochester, N.Y., on Thursday. Buchholz had been scheduled to pitch on Wednesday but is being excused for the birth of his second child.
Barring a setback, Buchholz would be ready to pitch on Tuesday against the Tampa Bay Rays. The Red Sox haven’t yet said when Buchholz will be activated off the disabled list.
• Will Middlebrooks took some grounders at first base during batting practice.
• Detroit has Miguel Cabrera back in the lineup. He missed three games with an abdominal strain.
• The Tigers called up LHP Jose Alvarez, RHP Jeremy Bonderman and C Bryan Holaday from AAA Toledo.