BALTIMORE — Shane Victorino is out of the Red Sox lineup because of the sprained right thumb he has been dealing with for 10 days or so. John Farrell said Victorino will be back in right field on Saturday.
• The plan tonight for Jacoby Ellsbury is four plate appearances.
• Mike Napoli is feeling refreshed after four games (and six days) off to give his plantar fasciitis a break. Napoli is in the lineup for the first time since Sept. 20.
• Orioles manager Buck Showalter said he will start Chris Tillman on Sunday if the game means anything to the Red Sox.
• Clay Buchholz has what amounts to a normal start tonight. There are no restrictions beyond the usual ones.
• Jake Peavy mentioned on Thursday that he could pitch in relief this weekend. Farrell indicated that was unlikely. The Red Sox have what he called "a punch list" of relievers to get work.
• Once the playoff roster is set, the Red Sox will send some of the extra players to work out in Fort Myers to stay fresh. A few spare parts (a catcher, an infielder, an outfielder, perhaps a pitcher) will stay around the team in case a roster change is needed.
• The Red Sox broke out some new t-shirts today. The front says "3 lines, 2 Chainz 1 goal" and the back has an image of a duck boat.
Three lines refers to the lines the players have shaved into the back of their heads. 2 Chainz is a hip-hop artist and a favorite of David Ortiz.