The Red Sox had an agreement with David Ortiz when they signed him before the 2013 season that they would not negotiate a new contract or extension until after the deal expired, according to a major league source.
On Wednesday, reports from the Dominican Republic said Ortiz indicated he wanted to continue playing for the Sox for a year beyond his current deal, which runs through the 2014 season.
The agreement would not necessarily preclude the sides from striking a new deal, however.
Ortiz, 38, said in Santo Domingo that he would keep playing as long as he feels physically healthy.
Ortiz won the World Series MVP award last month after reaching base in 11 of 16 at-bats with two home runs and six RBIs. He had a .309 average with 30 homers, 70 extra-base hits and 103 RBIs in 137 games this past season.
Ortiz agreed to a two-year contract last winter after playing on one-year contracts in 2011 and 2012.
Contributing: Wire reports.