The Bill Chuck Files overflow each day with stats, factoids, and observations that are sometimes relevant, sometimes irrelevant, and sometimes simply intriguing. At the start of each Sox series, I will share some of these in my "Nine to Know,” and I hope you will do the same.
Howdy, pardners! Is .500 half-empty or half-filled or simply half of 34?
The Red Sox are 6-4 and the Rangers are 3-7 in their last 10 games, but the Rangers have won the season series between these two clubs each of the last five years. The Sox have trouble in Texas despite the fact that Clay Buchholz is from Nederland, Tex,, John Lackey is from Abilene, and Will Middlebrooks is from Texarkana, which is like Massticut or Masshampshire. Will we hear “Happy Birthday” for Prince Fielder’s walk-up music tonight? To loosen the club last night, Shin-Soo Choo walked to the plate to “Gangnam Style” and Adrian Beltre strutted to “Macho Man.”
Nine to Know: Red Sox (17-17) @ Rangers (18-17)
1. Away from Fenway, Xander Bogaerts is hitting .326 with 12 whiffs but Jackie Bradley, Jr. is hitting .200 with 14 whiffs.
2. Last season, Clay Buchholz allowed four homers in 108.1 IP. This season he has allowed four gophers in 32 innings.
3. Jon Lester makes his fifth road start of the season on Saturday evening. In his career, Lester has made 106 starts at Fenway (47-28 3.74 ERA) and 121 starts away from home (56-32 3.70 ERA). This season, Lester is 2-2 with a 2.83 ERA and 0.942 WHIP on the road.
4. Since 2008 in Texas, David Ortiz has hit .306 with seven homers and 14 RBI. Dustin Pedroia has hit .237 with two homers and six RBI.
5. Yu Darvish has induced only 29 grounders the seasons, Clay Buchholz has 50.
6. Only two Red Sox have had 100 homers, 300 doubles, and a .300 lifetime average. Ted Williams hit 521 homers, 525 doubles, and had a .344 BA. Dustin Pedroia has hit 100 homers, 300 doubles, and a .302 BA. Only two Sox have had 100 homers, 300 doubles, and stolen 100 bases: Carl Yastrzemski hit 452 homers, 646 doubles and stole 168 bases. Pedey has stolen 121 bases.
7. The Sox 3-4-5 batters lead the majors with 34 walks with runners on base.
8. David Ortiz leads all DH's with 31 hits, but his .261 BA ranks him 13th amongst designated hitters with at least 25 PA.
9. Rangers reliever Shawn Tolleson is tied with the Angels Ernest Frieri with six gopher balls, the most amongst relievers. All the Sox relievers combined have only allowed five homers.
I’ll be back Tuesday with the news, “Congratulations it’s Twins!”