BOSTON – With today’s rainout, left-hander Jon Lester and right-hander John Lackey will start Games 1 and 2, respectively, of tomorrow’s doubleheader. The rest of the Red Sox starting pitching will stay in line until Wednesday.
That would be Lester’s next scheduled start, but with his shortened time in between starts because of the rainout, the Sox will need another starter.
“I haven’t even looked at who the candidates would be,” said manager John Farrell.
The candidates include left-hander Felix Doubront and right-hander Rubby De La Rosa.
Doubront, who has made 10 starts this season before getting bumped to the bullpen, has made his last two appearances in relief. He threw 1 1/3 innings in Wednesday’s loss to the Cubs, giving up three runs on four hits with two strikeouts and a home run. As a starter, he is 4-6 with a 5.19 ERA.
De La Rosa last pitched Tuesday, going 5 2/3 innings for Triple-A Pawtucket, taking the loss as he gave up five runs on eight hits and a walk with one home run and four strikeouts. In five appearances, all starts, for the Sox this season, he is 2-2 with a 2.51 ERA.
“We haven’t taken a look at everything,” Farrell said. “We’ll need an additional pitcher even if we choose to spot start someone. So we’ll figure that out as we get through the weekend.”
The Orioles have not yet announced their pitching plans for the three games. Right-hander Miguel Gonzalez (4-5, 4.56) was scheduled to start Friday, with right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez (3-8, 4.31) scheduled for Saturday. The O’s had not yet announced Sunday’s starter. Right-hander Kevin Gausman had been expected to be called up for that game.
The Sox and O’s can call up one extra player for the second game of the doubleheader. Neither team has said yet who that will be.