Share

Extra Bases

Pregame Notes: Jon Lester, Felix Doubront, and Mike Napoli

BOSTON -- Speculation about the possibility of a trade involving lefthander Jon Lester dominated the talk at Fenway Park Tuesday afternoon before the start of the middle game of the three-game series against the Blue Jays.

Manager John Farrell said if Lester is still with the Red Sox on Wednesday, the lefthander will make his scheduled start against the Jays. If Lester is gone, righthander Brandon Workman will be called up from Triple-A Pawtucket to make the start.

Workman has made 11 appearances, eight starts, for Boston this season, posting a record of 1-3 with a 4.13 ERA. He has made 10 appearances, all starts, for Pawtucket this season, posting a record of 6-1 with an ERA of 4.45.

• While trade deadline time can be an anxious time for most teams, with rumors and speculation rampant, it is especially so for the Sox this season. It has been several years since they have been in the position of being 'seller' instead of 'buyers' at the deadline. It’s an unusual spot for a defending World Series champion, with a payroll about $150 million, and the highest average ticket prices in baseball.

Farrell said he has spoken to players whose names have been involved in trade rumors as a professional courtesy.

• Felix Doubront gave one of the worst performances of his career Monday against the Blue Jays at Fenway Park. He went two-thirds of an inning, facing 10 batters, allowing six runs on six hits, including a three-run home run, and two walks. He also allowed the two runners he inherited to score. Doubront, who has said he wants to be in the starting rotation and not working out of the bullpen, appeared disinterested during his outing. Asked if he addressed Doubront’s performance and appearance with the lefthander, manager John Farrell replied: "Yes, and that’s all I’ll say about that."

The six earned runs matched a career-high for Doubront. He has allowed as many runs six times previously, most recently Aug. 16, 2013, in four innings against the Yankees.

• Mike Napoli was not in the starting lineup against the Blue Jays Tuesday at Fenway Park. Manager John Farrell said it was an off day for Napoli, who is dealing with swelling in his left ring finger. He suffered a fracture in the finger earlier this season, missing 14 games while on the disabled list from May 24 -- June 9.

• The Sox have started seven different rookies this season. They have combined to make 278 starts, most in the majors. Xander Bogaerts, with 96, and Jackie Bradley, 91, lead all rookies with the most starts. Including Brock Holt, with 71 starts, this is the first Sox team to feature three rookies with 60 or more starts since the 1966 team with George Scott (159), Joe Foy (150), and Mike Ryan (106).

Continue Reading Below