Peter Abraham covers the Red Sox for the Boston Globe and has spent the last three springs in Fort Myers. Here's his advice for visitors.
Places to eat
- Blue Pointe
- Bistro 41
- Matzaluna on Sanibel Island
- Shoeless Joe's
- You can play golf at dozens of courses in the area. You literally can't drive more than a few minutes without being close to a course.
- Go to the beach at Sanibel Island or Fort Myers Beach.
- Go fishing. There are as many places to get a nibble as there are to play golf
- Go shopping. There are a lot of outlets stores in the area.
- Go see another team play. The Twins are in Fort Myers and the Rays are up the road in Port Charlotte.
- Be polite asking for autographs. Yelling out last names is not being polite.
- Get to know an usher. He could help you find a better seat.
- Sunscreen! You'll be red as a Maine lobster sitting in those stands without it.
- Go watch the minor leaguers work out or see them play. You'll be an informed fan down the road.
- Don't ask Bobby Valentine if he invented the wrap. He's heard the jokes before. A million times.