A judge yesterday ordered former Celtics All-Star Antoine Walker to face trial on felony bad check charges that allege he failed to repay almost $1 million in gambling debts and penalties to three Las Vegas casinos.
Walker, 33, said nothing as he appeared with his lawyer, Jonathan Powell, before Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Melanie Andress-Tobiasson. He remains free without bail until his June 30 arraignment in state court.
The judge noted that Walker hadn’t made any progress repaying some $770,000 he owes on a promise last November to pay $905,050 in restitution, court fees, and penalties. At the time, Walker forfeited toward that amount the $135,000 cash bail he posted following his arrest at a celebrity golf tournament last July in Lake Tahoe.
Andress-Tobiasson bound Walker over for trial in Clark County District Court on three criminal bad check charges that, combined, could get him probation or send him to prison for up to 12 years if he’s convicted.
Bernie Zadrowski, head of the Clark County district attorney’s bad check unit, said outside court that Walker’s Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing last month in Florida complicated the Las Vegas criminal case. The prosecutor said he and Powell were still negotiating toward resolving the Nevada case without sending Walker to prison.
Walker’s bankruptcy filing claims $12.7 million in liabilities and $4.3 million in assets.
Walker hasn’t played in the NBA since 2008 but played briefly in Puerto Rico during the 2009-10 season.
Wade wants to stay
Speaking from TD Garden Sunday night, where he watched Game 5 of the NBA Finals, Dwyane Wade
he wants to remain with the Heat and have a star free agent join him after July 1. “I want to be in Miami. That’s where it starts,’’ Wade said. “I’ll gauge and see if guys want to be [in Miami], who wants to be with me.’’ . . . One of the top free agents, Joe Johnson
, is being wooed by a new coach, but his same team. During his introductory media conference, Larry Drew
said his hiring “should be a plus’’ in getting Johnson to return to the Hawks. “I’m a guy who’s already been in here, who already knows the players, who already has a feel for the team,’’ Drew said. “The things I’m talking about putting in are going to enhance Joe’s game even more.’’ Johnson was the only prominent Atlanta player who didn’t show for Drew’s introduction.
No word from Izzo
A pack of reporters, six TV cameras, and two photographers were given limited access to Tom Izzo’s
youth basketball camp in East Lansing, Mich., but it was a boy at the camp who tried to get the scoop, inquiring about the coach’s interest in jumping to the NBA. “Bad question,’’ Izzo said. “Those guys [media] up there want to know that.’’ Izzo did not talk with reporters, about 20 hours after indicating in a text message to the Associated Press he was still undecided on taking the Cavaliers’ coaching job. A person familiar with the situation told the AP that LeBron James
has not spoken to Izzo about Cleveland’s vacancy, and the two-time NBA MVP has no plans to get involved in the Cavaliers’ search . . . Nuggets guard Coby Karl
said he thinks his father will be back on the Denver bench next season after recovering from a six-week regimen of chemotherapy. George Karl
, who turned 59 last month, has said he intends to return to coaching later this summer, health willing.
© Copyright 2010 Globe Newspaper Company.