< Back to front page Text size +

Celtics consider bringing House back

Posted by Julian Benbow, Globe Staff  July 26, 2010 02:04 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

eddiehouse.JPGIn the process of surrounding their core with a solid second unit, the Celtics had discussions about bringing Eddie House back to Boston. House, whose shooting streaks helped the Celtics win the title in 2008, was shipped to New York at the trade deadline last February in a deal for Nate Robinson.

“It’s something [Celtics president] Danny [Ainge] and I have discussed,” House's agent Mark Bartelstein said. “But nothing’s imminent.”

Should he find himself back in Green, however, he’d have to do it for less money. Pinched by the salary cap, the Celtics would only be able to offer House the veteran minimum. House made $2.5 million last season, but if he played for the minimum next season, he would be entitled to $1.35 million as a 10-year veteran.

House's name was one of the many thrown out for consideration as the Miami Heat attempted to assemble some pieces around Chris Bosh, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, but otherwise interest in the 32-year old shooter has been tepid this offseason.

House’s shooting struggles last season (38 percent from the floor, 34.8 percent from 3) led the Celtics to look for other options during the season. He never found a shooting groove in New York (33.1 percent from the floor, 25 percent from 3).

Despite House’s shooting, Celtics coach Doc Rivers was vocally upset about losing a player that had been a catalyst on the second unit for more than two seasons.

Looking at the team’s needs, Ainge said his priorities were another big man, a backup for Rajon Rondo and backups for Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. The Celtics re-signed Robinson and also brought back Marquis Daniels last week.

News, analysis and commentary from the following Boston Globe and Boston.com writers:

NBA video

archives

browse this blog

by category