The Celtics host the Pistons tonight in a critical game if they plan to hold on to the seventh spot in the Eastern Conference. Boston has lost seven of nine games and needs a couple of victories to avoid playing the Miami Heat in the first round. Paul Pierce is back after missing Monday's game against the Timberwolves but the Celtics are 0-2 this season against Detroit, both blowout losses to one of the league's worst teams.
BOSTON CELTICS (38-36)
PG Avery Bradley
SG Jeff Green
SF Paul Pierce
PF Brandon Bass
C Chris Wilcox
DETROIT PISTONS (25-50)
PG Jose Calderon
SG Brandon Knight
SF Kyle Singler
PF Greg Monroe
C Andre Drummond
Officials: Marc Davis, Brent Barnaky, Kane Fitzgerald
TV, radio: 7:30 p.m., Comcast SportsNet, WEEI (93.7 FM).
• A team source said Kevin Garnett is expected to return to action Friday against the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Celtics wanted him to rest for two weeks and Friday will two weeks since he last game. He has been suffering from ankle inflammation.
• Paul Pierce will return to action tonight after sitting out the Minnesota game due to "personal reasons." Pierce tweaked his right during Sunday's loss to the Knicks.
• This is the first of a four-game homestand for the Celtics with Cleveland. Washington and Brooklyn following the Pistons. The Celtics enter Wednesday 1 1/2 games ahead of the Milwaukee Bucks for the seventh spot. The Bucks are hosting the Timberwolves tonight.
• Coach Doc Rivers said he is unsure of his playoff rotation but believes the Celtics will be completely healthy when the postseason begins.
• Will Bynum is questionable after missing the past four games with a right hand sprain. He did participate in the team's shootaround this morning.