The Celtics play their final game of what has been an eventful calendar year today against the improved and surprising Hawks, who will be without center Al Horford for the remaidnder of the season after he decided to have surgery for a torn pectoral muscle sustained on Dec. 26 vs. Cleveland. The Hawks were beaten 109-102 by the Orlando Magic on Sunday but are still the third seed in the Eastern Conference.
BOSTON CELTICS (13-17)
PG Avery Bradley
SG Jordan Crawford
SF Jeff Green
PF Brandon Bass
C Jared Sullinger
Inactives: Rajon Rondo
ATLANTA HAWKS (17-14)
PG Jeff Teague
SG Kyle Korver
SF Mike Scott
PF Paul Millsap
C Elton Brand
Inactives: Al Horford, John Jenkins
Officials: Marc Davis, Marat Kogut, Michael Smith
TV, radio: 1 p.m., Comcast SportsNet, (WBZ 98.5 FM).
• Gerald Wallace is good to play after leaving the win over Cleveland after a shot to the nose. His exit was just precautionary, according to coach Brad Stevens.
• Atlanta guard Shelvin Mack is a former player under Stevens at Butler and the first Butler player to reach the NBA from Stevens' teams. He is averaging 7 points and 3.6 assists.
• With Horford out, the Hawks are going with an extra small lineup but are also using European product Pero Antic in an expanded role. He played 20 minutes off the bench in Atlanta's loss to Orlando.
• Mike Scott will make his first start of the season and second career today at small forward. Scott averages 7.1 points in 13.9 minutes per game.
• The Celtics will practice New Years Day before flying to Chicago for a Jan. 2 matchup with the Bulls. They will return home for the second of a back-to-back with the New Orleans Pelicans.