Rajon Rondo and his agent Bill Duffy have released a statement vehemently denying an ESPN report that claimed the point guard had told the Celtics he “wanted out.”
A spokeswoman for Duffy's agency said that both men have discussed the reports, and publicly deny that any such request was made. "Neither Bill nor Rajon know where this has come from, but it didn't come from them," Alyson Furch said in a text tonight. "They want this on the record. Neither has spoken to anyone about this."
A video of MacMullan's comments about Rondo was removed from YouTube by ESPN on Sunday. In that segment, MacMullan declared, "[Rondo’s] told [the Celtics] he wants out. And no one believes me, but that's the truth. I don’t see how you get 80 cents on the dollar for him. Tell me where."
The release from Rondo’s camp aligns with the point guard’s comments from earlier this offseason. Back in June, Rondo spoke about his desire to remain in Boston long-term when he was asked about his impending free agency next summer.
"I don't like change, really. I'm pretty comfortable. I have a beautiful home here. I love it here. I have a great neighbor, the best neighbor in the world. I don't want to leave. It's just part of the process that I'll talk about once the season is over. As of now, I'm a Celtic, and I've been training here, and the staff has been doing pretty good as far as my rehab. …This is home to me as of now."
Rondo is entering the final year of a five-year contract. He will earn $12.9 million this season.
Rondo's denial of the trade request won't necessarily put an end to trade speculation surrounding the Celtics' team captain anytime soon.
The fact that Rondo will be expecting a major raise in free agency next summer combined with the reality that the Celtics are in the midst of a lengthy rebuild makes it highly likely there will continue to be plenty of potential trade discussions and rumors involving the point guard this season.