Jared Sullinger -- the rookie forward who the Celtics surely could've used in the playoffs, had he not been down with a back injury -- joined ex-players Walter McCarthy and Dana Barros among a group celebrating the 22nd year of the team's Stay in School program with more than 1,500 middle school students at Northeastern's Matthews Arena.
Celtics President Rich Gotham was also in attendance, as were executives from presenting sponsor Arbella Insurance and Boston Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Carol Johnson, for an assembly that was the culmination of a year in which the initiative's efforts focused on instilling P.R.I.D.E. -- which stands for Perseverance, Respect, Integrity, Decisions, and Education. It was a message they delivered six times throughout the course of the season, according to the team's website, which indicates the Celtics participated in at least 35 community events between October and their playoff exit earlier this month.
Sullinger (pictured with McCarty above) was an active participant in those off-court activities during his first year in Boston -- and on the court he's confident he'll be even more active in year two, despite the surgery that has sidelined him since February. He hopes to be 100 percent by September or October, around the time training camp opens.
“I’ve got 10 weeks to get back to where I was or even better,” he told the Globe's Baxter Holmes on Thursday.
“Everybody says ‘back’ with a question mark, [but] you might as well put an X through that,” Sullinger continued. “Because I had surgery, I’m taking my time and getting back right. [There] won’t be no recurring injuries.”
The author is solely responsible for the content.