On Sunday Tom Brady fell two games short of Drew Brees’ alltime NFL record of 54 regular season games with at least one touchdown pass when he was shut out against the Bengals at Cincinnati’s Paul Brown Stadium. Here are 12 curious facts about No. 12’s streak.
- Brady’s 52 straight games came over the 52 games the Pats played over that span but Brees’ record includes the one game he sat out to rest for the playoffs on the final day of the 2009 season (Jan 3, 2010) against the Panthers. Coincidentally, that was the last day that Brady had failed to throw a TD pass during the regular season, a 34-27 loss in Houston.
- Curiously, Brees set the mark on October 7, 2012, exactly 364 days prior to Brady’s streak being broken.
- During the streak the Patriots won 43 games while losing just nine, an .827 winning percentage, easily the best in the NFL over that span. The Packers were second at 37-14 (.725)
- Brady’s 116 touchdowns during the streak ranks third in the NFL. Only Drew Brees (134) and Aaron Rodgers (121) threw more.
- Also during that time 103 players other than Brady threw touchdown passes, including four by punters, one by a kicker (David Akers), three by running backs and seven by wide receivers.
- Only one touchdown pass was thrown by another Pats player during the streak, that a 42-yard pass from Brian Hoyer to Brandon Tate against the Dolphins in the final game of the 2010 season. Tate had two TD catches from Brady during the streak.
- A total of 16 different receivers caught those 116 touchdown tosses from Brady during the streak. Rob Gronkowski was on the receiving end of the most with 38 while Wes Welker was second at 22.
- If you count postseason games, the streak actually ended at 35 on January 22, 2012, in a 23-20 win over the Ravens in the AFC Championship Game.
- Instead of throwing for a score in that game, Brady ran in a 1-yard, fourth-quarter touchdown which accounted for the game’s deciding points that sent the Pats to the Super Bowl.
- That game also ended his pursuit of Brett Favre’s alltime record of 20 consecutive playoff games with a touchdown pass. Like the pursuit of Brees, Brady fell two games shy of Favre’s record with 18.
- Eight of Brady’s 14 career rushing touchdowns came during the streak. Only the much more fleet-footed Cam Newton (23), Michael Vick (13), Tim Tebow (12) and Aaron Rodgers (9) and his slow-footed equal, Mark Sanchez (9), had more.
- Brady still shares the mark of 13 straight games with multiple touchdown passes, matching the record set by Peyton Manning and since also matched by Aaron Rodgers. He’s also tops on the list when it comes to games with at least three TDs with 10.
The author is solely responsible for the content.
He has also authored or made contributions to many books, including the Sports Illustrateds 100 Fenway: A Fascinating First Century.
Now living in Marblehead, hes focusing his attention on the Boston sports scene, specifically delving into the numbers affecting the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins, with the goal of informing and entertaining real fans. You can follow him on Twitter at @SabinoSports.