Chicago Cubs GM Jim Hendry was the victim of a pretty good prank last week at Milwaukee's Miller Park.
Seems someone circulated a fake press release touting a faux book by Hendry,called "How to Finish Near Last Place with the Highest Payroll in the League." The press release was among a collection of stats reports and other printed press briefings, which are common in most press boxes.
The Cubs are in next-to-last place in the NL Central, just above the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Brewers confiscated the papers once discovered.
Among the chapters in the would-be book, according to a report in the Chicago Tribune:
- "Why I signed Milton Bradley!"
- "Why I released Casey McGehee only to see him hit 20 home runs and drive in nearly 100 runs for a division rival!"
- "Why I hired former Pittsburgh general manager Dave Littlefield, the man who helped make the Pirates what they are today, as my special assistant!"
- "How I botched the recall of Micah Hoffpauir from our minor league team in Iow by losing track of the number of days that he was in the minors!"
- "Why I signed players to long-term contracts with limited trade options!"
The main contributors to The Buzz are:
- Matt Pepin, Boston.com sports editor
- Steve Silva, Boston.com senior sports producer
- Gary Dzen, Boston.com senior sports producer
- Zuri Berry, Boston.com sports producer