According to a report on Yahoo! Sports today, New Orleans Saints and former USC running back Reggie Bush will be stripped of his 2005 Heisman Trophy and no winner will be named for that season.
Citing two unnamed sources close to the Heisman Trophy Trust, the report states that the organization is completing its investigation into Bush's eligibility for the 2005 season and likely will take the trophy away before the end of September.
However, the Trust's executive director contradicted that report.
"I can tell you the Heisman Trophy trust has made no decision regarding the Reggie Bush situation," Robert Whalen, executive director of the Heisman Trophy Trust, told The Associated Press on Tuesday.
Bush would be the first player in the 75-year history of the award to have it taken away.
Last week, Texas coach Mack Brown said former Longhorns quarterback Vince Young, who finished a distant second to Bush in the 2005 Heisman voting, should be given the award if Bush is stripped. Young has said he would not want the trust to give him the award.
In June, the NCAA ruled that Bush was ineligible to play for the Trojans because of illegal benefits and gifts he received from two fledgling sports marketers hoping to sign him. The men paid for everything from hotel stays and a rent-free home where Bush's family apparently lived to a limousine and a new suit when he accepted his Heisman in New York in December 2005.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.
The main contributors to The Buzz are:
- Matt Pepin, Boston.com sports editor
- Steve Silva, Boston.com senior sports producer
- Gary Dzen, Boston.com senior sports producer
- Zuri Berry, Boston.com sports producer