American baseball fans voted the Yankees as their favorite team in baseball for the ninth consecutive year, edging the Red Sox (2d) for the third year in a row, according to The Harris Poll.
The Red Sox were tied with the Yankees in the poll for what team will win the World Series, while the Phillies finished in third.
Other notes from the results:
- Thirty-six percent of Americans say they follow Major League Baseball. Forty-one percent followed in 2009.
- The Yankees, Red Sox and Braves have finished as baseball's favorite teams in the same order for three straight seasons.
- Besides the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies, no team received more than five percent of the vote for the expected World Series winner vote.
- The Padres and Blue Jays were voted as America's least favorite teams, however, no Canadien residents were surveyed.
The Harris Poll surveyed 2,163 adults online between June 13 and 20 by Harris Interactive.
The main contributors to The Buzz are:
- Steve Silva, Boston.com senior sports producer
- Gary Dzen, Boston.com senior sports producer
- Zuri Berry, Boston.com sports producer