Multiple sources have indicated that the Red Sox and Dodgers are nearing a trade agreement that would send Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto to Los Angeles while Boston received mainly prospects and financial flexibility in return.
Globe reporter Nick Cafardo reported just minutes before the Red Sox game against the Royals was to begin that Gonzalez had been scratched from the lineup. That was quickly followed by Globe sports reporter Michael Vega Tweeting that with Mauro Gomez taking first base tonight, the "deal must be done."
On the Dodgers side, first baseman James Loney, a free agent after this season, had been scratched from their lineup just before gametime.
The Globe's Pete Abraham reported that the Red Sox would receive from the Dodgers: Loney, right handed minor league pitcher Rubby de la Rosa, minor league outfielder Jerry Sands, minor league infielder Ivan DeJesus, and a prospect.
Jon Morosi, a national baseball writer for FoxSports.com, Tweeted that prospect Allen Webster would also be included in the deal from the Dodgers.
No official word has come from either team yet. The deal is likely contingent on player medical evaluations.
According to a Cafardo source, Gonzalez has a limited no trade clause, but Los Angeles is not on his list. As far as Beckett is concerned, Boston would need him to OK his departure because of his 10-5 status (10 years in the majors and five with the same team). "Indications are he will," Cafardo said.
ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes first reported via Twitter that the Red Sox and Dodgers are working on the deal.
Beckett has two seasons and $35 million remaining on his contract. "Beckett could be pretty decent in the National League West," Abraham said on Twitter. "Bigger parks, easier lineups to pitch to ... Not a bad hitter either."
Gonzalez, who Los Angeles had tried to get for before the trading deadline, was the first today to be reported to have been claimed by the Dodgers, leaving the Red Sox to decide whether to revoke the waiver, trade the first baseman, or let the Los Angeles have him and the $127 million remaining on his six-year contract.
As the evening progressed, reports next surfaced Beckett was involved. Then Crawford and Punto were added to the list. Crawford had season ending Tommy John surgery on Thursday but is still eligible to be traded.
The Sox would save some $270 million from their payroll, though they may send some cash to the Dodgers with the players.
The Globe's Chris Gasper weighed in on Twitter, saying "Moving A-Gon to Dodgers would be like an NBA trade. To get what they want LA has to take some bad contracts (Beckett and/or Crawford)."
Boston.com writer Tony Massarotti wrote on Twitter that he was eager to see how the Red Sox replace Gonzalez. "Bats like that are hard to find," he Tweeted. "Sox must have had enough of him or he wanted out in a big way."
Interesting observations from Abraham included: "Point of this thing, in my opinion, is not what you get back. It's getting back to doing things the right way" and "Kind of took Theo Epstein's legacy and walked it to the curb, huh?"
Mazz also Tweeted this nugget: "So I guess the media wasn't exagerating about all the Red Sox' issue after all, eh?"
According to Vega, not everyone was in the loop on this developing story. Asked about the waiver situation this afternoon, just after the time Gonzalez had been claimed, manager Bobby Valentine said he had no knowledge of the situation, downplayed the chance the slugger would be going anywhere, and expressed frustration that news of a Red Sox player being claimed on waivers had even become public.
The main contributors to The Buzz are:
- Matt Pepin, Boston.com sports editor
- Steve Silva, Boston.com senior sports producer
- Gary Dzen, Boston.com senior sports producer
- Zuri Berry, Boston.com sports producer