Posted by Matt Pepin, Boston.com Staff December 27, 2012 02:06 PM
Among the findings:
- Michael Phelps' Olympic medal record was the biggest accomplishment in sports in 2012, with the US women's gymnastics team winning Olympic gold second.
- The New York Giants' Super Bowl win was the best sports championship, with the San Francisco Giants' World Series championship second.
- The Jerry Sandusky scandal at Penn State was the most impactful story of 2012, with Lance Armstrong's doping case second.
- Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning was the player with the biggest impact on his sport, with LeBron James of the Miami Heat second.
- Jets backup quarterback Tim Tebow was the overwhelming choice for most overhyped athlete. Yankees third baseman Alex Rodroiguez was second.
- Sixty percent of adults nationwide consider themselves sports fans.
The complete results can be found at Marist's web site.
We've expanded The Buzz from a page of Red Sox trade talk and reports to a full-blown blog filled with news from around the web, viral videos, and commentary from the Boston.com sports producers.
The main contributors to The Buzz are:
- Steve Silva, Boston.com senior sports producer
- Gary Dzen, Boston.com senior sports producer
- Zuri Berry, Boston.com sports producer