The Bruins didn’t have any answers for Tomas Vokoun. (Brian Snyder/Reuters)
The Bruins blasted 40 pucks on Tomas Vokoun, including 19 in the second period. But Vokoun posted his third shutout in his last four starts and foiled all four shootout gunners: Blake Wheeler, Patrice Bergeron, Zdeno Chara, and Michael Ryder.
At the other end, Cory Stillman beat Tim Thomas to give the Panthers the shootout win.
“That’s what goalies do,” Stillman said. “They give you a chance to win hockey games. He did that tonight.”
* Thomas made his best save on Nathan Horton in the first period during a five-on-three Florida power play. Thomas said he had to respect Stillman’s shot on the other wing. Once Stillman passed to Horton, Thomas had to dive to stop the forward’s attempt.
* Shawn Thornton got into a second-period scrap with Bryan Allen. Thornton didn’t care for the elbow Allen threw at his head and initiated the fight.
* The Bruins practice tomorrow at 11:30 a.m. at Ristuccia Arena.
STICK SALUTE: Blake Wheeler. Team-high six shots, most of them around the net in the dirty areas.
SIN BIN: None.
All done at the Garden. Panthers in the shootout, 1-0. Cory Stillman with the goal.
End of overtime
After 65 minutes, no score.
4:55 (OT). Bryan McCabe with the changeup slapper from the point. Good smother by Tim Thomas.
End of regulation
After 60 minutes, no score. Florida with a 14-9 shot advantage in the third.
18:46 (3). Michael Ryder with a slapper on goal. Clear look for Tomas Vokoun.
17:45 (3). Tim Thomas gets a piece of Rostislav Olesz’s tip.
14:16 (3). Pipe job by Dominic Moore. KPD doing handstands.
5:10 (3). Florida doing a much better job of driving to the net and creating chances.
0:54 (3). Tough stop for Tim Thomas on Bryan McCabe’s point shot. Stephen Weiss was jamming for a rebound.
After 40 minutes, no score. Florida with one shot in the second period. Snore…
* More good work by PP1 in the second. Blake Wheeler, as the down-low guy on the left side, had about three close whacks. Tomas Vokoun has been very sharp.
* Interesting to hear the communication between Derek Morris and Zdeno Chara during Keith Ballard’s tripping call. When Chara had the puck on the left-side wall with no defenders in his face, Morris yelled out, “Walk, walk, walk!” Chara, helped by Morris’s instruction, walked the puck off the wall.
* Tim Thomas must be freezing.
12:40 (2). Bruins with an 18-7 shot advantage so far.
11:34 (2). Shawn Thornton vs. Bryan Allen. Thornton gets in a few pops and scores the takedown.
8:00 (2). Sparking save by Tomas Vokoun on Vladimir Sobotka’s one-timer. Clever feed from Brad Marchand.
After 20 minutes, no score. Boston with a 9-6 shot advantage.
* As usual, Tim Thomas refuses to give up on any shot, as evident by his stop on Nathan Horton. Thomas scrambled to his right, dove, and stopped Horton’s shot with his right hand, then covered the puck with his body. Good stuff.
* Not much from David Krejci’s line. Krejci and Michael Ryder are ice-cold.
16:33 (1). Slippery moves by Vladimir Sobotka to carry the puck out of the D-zone and set up Andrew Ference for a scoring chance.
15:00 (1). More good work by the PK. Tim Thomas perfect, and the box played well in front of him.
13:05 (1). Brilliant diving stop by Tim Thomas on Nathan Horton during Florida’s five-on-three.
12:02 (1). Wicked shoulder hit by Bryan Allen on Dennis Wideman. Clean neutral-zone hit.
6:38 (1). Good work by PP1. Lots of looks but no score.
4:38 (1). Byron Bitz draws interference call on Jordan Leopold. Nice board work by Bitz.
2:00 (1). Derek Morris takes the puck off Cory Stillman’s stick to bust up a two-on-one.
0:00 (1). Trent Whitfield and Johnny Boychuk are the healthy scratches.