THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

NCAA rejects sixth year for BC's Momah

Boston College appeals ruling

By Mark Blaudschun
Globe Staff / January 17, 2012
Text size +
  • E-mail
  • E-mail this article

    Invalid E-mail address
    Invalid E-mail address

    Sending your article

    Your article has been sent.

The NCAA rejected Boston College wide receiver Ifeanyi Momah’s appeal for a sixth year of eligibility.

“The ruling came down last week and we appealed it,’’ said BC coach Frank Spaziani. “So we’re just waiting.’’

The 6-foot-6 inch, 229-pound Momah played one game last season - he caught eight passes for 157 yards in the opener against Northwestern - but injured his knee and was done for the season.

Since Momah used his redshirt season in 2009 because of an injury, BC requested a sixth season, which is unusual, but waivers are routinely granted in cases of injury, most notably with Houston quarterback Case Keenum.

“If any kid deserves a chance to get to the next level, it is him,’’ said Spaziani. “He deserves a chance to play out his career as far as he can take it.’’

Momah, who has his undergraduate degree, has had an injury-plagued career. He has shown flashes as a wide receiver and played defensive end on third-and-long in 2010.

Spaziani’s argument is that if the NCAA is talking about what’s best for the student-athlete, as the NCAA always uses in its decisions, the waiver should be granted for Momah.

The NCAA has been generous in the past; Purdue quarterback Robert Marve was granted a sixth year of eligibility last week. Marve is the third Boilermaker in the last four years to be granted an additional season of eligibility by the NCAA.

  • E-mail
  • E-mail this article

    Invalid E-mail address
    Invalid E-mail address

    Sending your article

    Your article has been sent.