< Back to Front Page Text size +

Cheers and jeers

Posted by Eric Wilbur, Boston.com Staff May 16, 2008 07:41 AM

Apparently there was some outrage in New York yesterday after Yankee fans learned that Alex Rodriguez taped a message to be played at Fenway after Manny Ramirez hits his 500th career home run.

"Manny, I'm going to keep this short because I'm probably getting booed,” A-Rod says in the clip. “Congratulations and many more."

The New York Daily News’ Mark Feinsand reports the Red Sox approached the Yankees about Rodriguez taping some form of congratulations. I don’t get it. He’ll obviously get booed. Why would the team want to mar the moment by sparking a moment of dislike in the fan base? Congrats, Manny. Now, watch as we make the crowd jeer in this great moment of your profession.

It could be worse, I guess. They could show the video they made to compel Roger Clemens to return to Boston some years back. That, though, has apparently gone the way of the Rams walkthrough tape.

1. Like usual, A-rod has to find some way to get involved with the red sox moments of success.

Posted by bdan May 16, 08 11:04 AM
  1. Wilbur, checking in from new york, you have interpreted the story here incorrectly, A-Rod's comments are regarding the reaction the fans will have at Fenway. This video will never even be shown in new york.

Posted by dan euerle May 16, 08 11:44 AM
  1. It's called overthinking. Can they PLEASE go back
    to being a baseball team !?!?

Posted by Nopinkhats May 16, 08 11:49 AM
  1. Eric,

As much as I dislike that purple lip stick wearing fruit, I see it as a good thing. Alex will break Barrys "record" and we can forget her ever existsed, which is nice, and Ramrod knows how hard it is to belt 500.

Posted by Mark May 16, 08 11:54 AM
  1. How is a congratulations from a friendly rival bad? I think A-Rod is pretty classy to do it. Chill out

Posted by Debra Kendall May 16, 08 12:28 PM
  1. At first I was thinking as much as I don't care for A-Rod it might be a good gesture to show that it's just a game and fans don't need to be taking things so seriously that their killing each other, but after thinking about the reaction, it will take away from the moment. It would be better to have Manny's wife, John Henry, some other member of the 500 Club, but not A-Rod. I think after enough of us email the club they'll rethink this.

PS. How about Yaz or Hank Aaron!

Posted by Bernie Hudson May 16, 08 12:45 PM
  1. I don't see the problem with it. Yes I hate A-rod but its just him saying congrats to his buddy who cares.

yankees suck

Posted by Matt Walsh May 16, 08 01:07 PM
  1. I hate the immature ignorance of some of our fan base. Just because there is a Red Sox-Yankees rivalry and most of the fans don't get along doesn't mean the players don't. There is a ton of respect between the playes including Ortiz, Manny, A-Rod, and Jeter. Very nice jesture by A-Rod, I'm sure Manny will appreciate it. Grow up people.

Posted by George Killians May 16, 08 01:18 PM
  1. I think it is a classy move by A-Rod but why would they play that at Fenway Park. Our fans don't wanna see A-Rod on the scoreboard (unless it is a montage of a TON of different players congratulating Manny... then that would be cool). Otherwise save the individual congratulations for sometime more private.

Posted by King B May 16, 08 02:03 PM
  1. Just Shut Up A-Rod! Let Manny (with a personality) enjoy his moment. Don"t You wish you had one? Yankees suck!!

Posted by Jim Fahey May 16, 08 02:14 PM
  1. This is not an LOL moment at Fenway. I have hated the Yankees since I can ever remember. After a few Stoli Vanilla and Diet Cokes I have been known to start "Yankees Suck" chants at the bars where I am wearing my favorite pink hat and Ellsbury pink shirt. Saying "Yankees Suck" is such a tradition like the singing of Sweet Caroline and having 5 people throw out the 'first' pitch at Fenway. A-Rod should only be booed and told that he sucks, let us in Red Sox Nation cheer on Manny for being Manny and leave A-Fraud out of it!!! I am outie

Posted by Caroline P. Hat May 16, 08 02:36 PM
  1. How do I get a job there to come up with stupid ideas like that?

Posted by Bike without a seat May 16, 08 02:43 PM
  1. I hate A-Rod more than anything...but that's pretty cool of him to do that

Posted by Nellie May 16, 08 02:50 PM
  1. Grow up! This is not a big deal. Quite frankly, it is amusing to see clearly immature fans on both the Red Sox and Yankees getting bent out of shape. It is a classy jester by a good friend (yes people, Manny and A-Rod are actually good friends), and quite frankly, I am sure most professionals will recognize the gesture. Grow up people, "hating" the Yankees has become so over-marketed and over-hyped that it has become one giant CLICHE. Boo the Yankees yes, but lose the B.S. pseudo-"Red Sox Nation" marketing crap.

Posted by Ba-Ba-Booey May 16, 08 02:56 PM
  1. Well he also made one for Frank Thomas's 500 and Ken Griffey Jr's 600.

And I got the impression it's a tape of clips from more than one person giving the congratulations.

I think it's vastly amusing.

Posted by Kerry May 16, 08 03:00 PM
  1. OMG THE WORLD IS GOING TO END

Posted by Bud Selig May 16, 08 03:14 PM
  1. Have any of you ever watched pregame warmups when the sox and yanks are playing each other. Manny Arod and Papi are ALWAYS together joking around. They are all three of the greatest players to come out of the dominican republic. This is in no way a bad thing, and any one who boos this classy gesture by a friend of mannys, is immature, doesnt respect the game of baseball and clearly thinks they need to hate the yankees because they are from some suburb 60 miles outside of boston and think they can talk with a boston accent and say they are from boston. chances are half of you are from florida, which still isnt boston massachusetts, so stop saying youve been a die hard sox fan since the day youve been born.

Posted by Wicked Pissahhh. May 16, 08 03:30 PM
  1. Manny Ramirez has every right to choose the four people HE wants to congratulate him on video when he hits #500. Just because the fanbase hates the Yankees (I sure do) doesn't mean there are good friendships between players on rival teams.

Arod is 24's buddy and has already hit the 500 milestone - a good choice, imo, and fans need to rise above petty rivalries for moments that transcend them - like when these HOF milestones are reached.

Wilbur, the 'some years ago" the Sox made the video to try to woo Clemens back was just last year. You pink hats have short memories, i know, but did you just become a sox fan in october?

Posted by Trent May 16, 08 03:40 PM
  1. If anyone actually read the linked artiicle above it says A-Rods congrats will be part of a series of clips with similar messages from other stars... This isn't a 'let's just get A-Rod and ruin Manny's moment by turning it into Yank vs. Sox ' or, as some people above seem to bizzarely assume, A-Rod forcing himself into a great moment so he can ruin it.

Posted by Jimmy May 16, 08 04:31 PM
  1. This would be noteworthy if A-Rod had thought of this on his own.

However, since he was asked to do it by the Red Sox, it's more or less an empty gesture.

Posted by John S. May 16, 08 04:37 PM
  1. Caroline P Hat... shut the hell up... you zero

Posted by i have a belly button May 16, 08 05:05 PM
  1. "This is not an LOL moment at Fenway. I have hated the Yankees since I can ever remember. After a few Stoli Vanilla and Diet Cokes I have been known to start "Yankees Suck" chants at the bars where I am wearing my favorite pink hat and Ellsbury pink shirt. Saying "Yankees Suck" is such a tradition like the singing of Sweet Caroline and having 5 people throw out the 'first' pitch at Fenway. A-Rod should only be booed and told that he sucks, let us in Red Sox Nation cheer on Manny for being Manny and leave A-Fraud out of it!!! I am outie"

Okay, I'll bite... Is this a joke or serious? If you're being tongue-in-cheek, hats off, pretty funny. If not... um... yeah...

Posted by Bill May 16, 08 06:02 PM
  1. Duhhh Yankees Suck...Yankees Suck...get friggin lives who cares if he congratulates him??? It is baseball game where grown men get paid huge money and people act like A-Holes about players from one team or another.
    Enjoy what we have in this great land of America and happy we are here to enjoy it.
    There is a War going on and this petty crap between Yanlks and Sox Fans is just really annoying..

Posted by J563 May 16, 08 06:24 PM
  1. Arod and Manny are close friends who work out in the off season. Get a grip u morons.

Posted by Francesco Renaldi May 16, 08 09:29 PM
  1. Why is it a big deal? Personally I'm pulling for A-Rod to break the HR record, and if he wants to congratulate Manny then GFY, good for him

Posted by Shawn May 17, 08 12:01 AM
  1. It says a lot about A-rod for him to go out of his way and do this, I fully respect it. I don't care about him as a person but as a player it's nice to hear him go out on a limb and praise the greatest non-roider of our generation.

Please don't call him a fruit either, we're not on the Sopranos that is just corny and ignorant , let's be adults please.

Take care, god bless

Posted by Tony P May 17, 08 01:19 AM
  1. you guys are all wrong here...manny was askd who he would like to recieve congrats form...manny requested A-Rod not the orginazation...i know its hard to beleive that these players don't care about the rivalry but they don't

Posted by Marc May 17, 08 10:00 AM
  1. You guys got it all wrong. Manny was asked who he would prefer congrats viedos form..one of his choices was A-Rod. It was his decision not the Red Sox's. I know its hard to believe that the players don't care about the rivalry but they don't. Him and A-Rod are boys...settle down, stop blameing the orginization

Posted by roidger May 17, 08 10:44 AM
  1. WTF??? I hope this isn't true.

Posted by David May 17, 08 11:02 AM
  1. Those of us who have been Sox fans for all of our lives and have not jumped on the bandwagon with Pink Hats and Pink Shirts or other phoney Sox paraphenalia, please give up your chant.

I don't particularly care for the Yankees or A-Fraud, but I still think it is a pretty nice gesture on their part. The fact is that the Yankee organization, outside of Yankie Hankie Steinbrenner, are a class organization.

I can't wait for these imbeciles who insist on that stupid chant to get bored and move onto something else and leave the Sox to real Sox (and baseball) fans.

Posted by lhjraffe May 17, 08 08:51 PM
  1. this is no big deal.I am sure that Mannys exteammate in cleveland jim thome will also be asked to tape an message for manny.So will mike hargrove(his manager in cleveland)and current phils manager charlie manuel who was the indians hitting coach when manny first came up.If Arod was playing for any other team but the yankees this wouldnt be an issue.On the other hand if manny ramirez was playing for any other team the yankes biggest rival the red sox yankee fans wouldnt give an damn

Posted by paul baranofsky May 18, 08 11:10 AM
  1. I say this, back in the day of Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Giants would their be any
    patting the ass of an opponents individual accomplishments?....NO WAY!
    This topic is a double edge sword,because you can take the stand of chill out their are other things a hell of alot more important in life then A-rod giving the congrats to manny.
    Or you can look at it this way,Redsox -Yankees are greatest rival in all of sports players from opposing teams should be trying to figure out how to Win no matter
    what it takes! these two teams should be ready for war when they step on the field.
    After the game buy the guy a milk shake if your cleats got a little to high slidding into 2nd base.

Posted by Leo "The Lip" Durocher May 18, 08 11:11 AM
  1. Wicked Pissahhh

Who cares where a fan lives? I've been a Sox fan for ages, and guess what? i've lived in NYS my entire life. Aside from that, I think A-rod's gesture is pretty neat. See nothing wrong with it.

Posted by Sherri May 19, 08 12:18 AM
  1. Acknowledging that he's going to get booed up on the jumbotron and congratulating Manny is a pretty classy move on A-Rod's part. This makes me want to like A-Rod a little bit, but I think I'll get over it.

Posted by Jason May 19, 08 02:01 PM
  1. good for him, that's really nice, how it should be

Posted by Valerie Willcox May 19, 08 08:45 PM
  1. "Those of us who have been Sox fans for all of our lives and have not jumped on the bandwagon with Pink Hats and Pink Shirts or other phoney Sox paraphenalia, please give up your chant. "

Just because I became a fan during that magical 2004 run doesn't mean I'm less of a fan then you. I happen to like the different color shirts, it adds something to the traditional colors. I don't live near fenway so I like to stand out and really show my Red Sox Nation pride. I can remember exactly where I was when I became a tried and true fan on October 17, 2004. I was at a bar celebrating my 28th birthday. Unreal.

Posted by Midwest Billy May 22, 08 02:31 PM