< Back to Front Page Text size +

Lie to me, Alex

Posted by Eric Wilbur, Boston.com Staff February 10, 2009 08:54 AM

Give ESPN this: When they get beaten on a story, they sure do milk the hell out of the follow-up.

Still, the smothering sports network might as well have had Keith Lockhart instead of Peter Gammons sit down with Alex Rodriguez, considering how orchestrated the whole process was.

Compelling TV, yes, but if we’re supposed to take yesterday’s steroid admission and consider it an emotional turn in the life of A-Rod, then the wool really has grown in, well over our eyelids and reaching for the ears and mouth.

A-Rod is “sorry.” Great. That might have meant more last Friday.

In coming clean, A-Rod exposed himself as an even bigger, more duplicitous fraud than we had previously imagined, which is saying something. He’s sorry for getting caught, a confession of guilt that never would have materialized had “this Selena Roberts lady,” as Rodriguez so pettily referred to her, not broken the story on SI.com over the weekend.

He admits he took banned substances from 2001-03, but he doesn’t know what they were. He doesn’t even really know where they came from despite sharing the clubhouse over those three years with Rafael Palmeiro, Ken Caminiti, John Rocker, Ismael Valdez, Steve Woodard, Juan Gonzalez, and an assortment of other never-proven suspects. Yeah, I wonder.

It was the culture. He was young. He was stupid. We now know how Rodriguez spent the weekend: Taking a crash course in Celebrity Confession 101.

Be vague about seemingly definitive answers, such as the years you dabbled in performance-enhancing drugs. Just the three years, A-Rod? “That's pretty accurate, yes.”

Apologize to your fans: “I couldn't feel more regret and feel more sorry because I have so much respect for this game, and, you know, the people that follow me and respect me. And I have millions of fans out there that are, you know, will never look at me the same.”

But here’s my unequivocally favorite part of the interview (which, you know, you can get on ESPN.com), when Scott Boras -- er, sorry, Gammons -- asks him about educating “kids across the country” in the shadow of this story.

"100 percent. I mean, that's what I've done with the Boys and Girls Club my whole life. You know, I was born in Washington Heights [N.Y.]. I would love to really get into that community and do things that are real, that are going to make a difference. And I have an opportunity here to help out a lot of kids. And I have nine years and the rest of my career to devote myself to children in the future and really bring awareness to, you know, where we need to head as a game. And I think we are headed in the right direction."

He’d really like to get into that community. Excuse my sense of time, but hasn’t the guy played in New York for five years now?

Sorry, I don’t believe 80 percent of what Rodriguez and Boras are selling in this interview. How can you, when just a little more than a year ago, the Yankees superstar sat down on “60 Minutes” and lied to Katie Couric's face? Back then, he had complete confidence in himself on the baseball field. He must have been young and stupid when he decided to lie on national TV.

Oh, not now.

That was perhaps the most disappointing aspect of this whole interview, the fact that Gammons didn’t hammer Rodriguez more about the “60 Minutes” lie, almost as if the question were in there because there would be overwhelming criticism of the sit-down if it weren’t.

PETER GAMMONS: Now, you mentioned the Katie Couric interview. You were asked if you ever used steroids, human growth hormones or other performance-enhancing substances. You said no, flat-out no. In your mind, that wasn't a lie?

ALEX RODRIGUEZ: At the time, Peter, I wasn't even being truthful with myself. How am I going to be truthful with Katie or CBS? Today, I'm here to tell the truth, and I feel good about that. I think my fans deserve that. I'm ready to put everything behind me and go play baseball. You know, we have a great team this year. I couldn't be more excited about the guys that we've brought in, Mark Teixeira, A.J. Burnett ... It's an important time in my life to turn the page and focus on what's next.

Somehow, we got from CBS and Katie Couric, to Rodriguez weakly explaining why it wasn’t a lie, to the Yankees' free agent spending frenzy. Now, if this weren’t a rehearsed 30 minutes on the parts of A-Rod and ESPN, here’s what the next question might have consisted of:

“Alex, if you lied back in ‘07, why in the name of Bronson Arroyo should we believe one iota of what you’re shoveling now?”

That, in essence, is the unanswered question from this interview with baseball’s latest swindler, in cahoots with ESPN, making up for getting out-scooped by forcing a disingenuous “apology” down our throats. But that's what you get when you're so hungry to make a splash on a story you're playing catch-up on, a harried agreement to ask only certain questions of a subject that might have plenty more to hide than for which he's seemingly sorry.

1. Eric, I think you're right on.

This was the most scripted interview I've seen in a long time. It was as if Gammons was simply there to ask a set of questions that were given to him and Arod would then respond with something that had nothing to do with the question.

Seriously, Did Gammons buy any of Arod's answers at all? Arod brought out just how shady this situation really is.

Posted by Aaron February 10, 09 09:19 AM
  1. Do you think he would have agreed to an unscripted interview? Do you even know how that process works? Besides, after the treatment Pettitte got for "coming clean" (admitting something after getting caught and saying you only tried it once is not coming clean), why should players take any other approach? It's ridiculous to think people are willing to let these guys off the hook if they just admit it.

Posted by J-Bone February 10, 09 09:59 AM
  1. Hey that explains the July '04 brawl! Alex had roid rage!

Posted by Kelly February 10, 09 10:01 AM
  1. Are we really supposed to believe that he wasn't back on the 'roids again in 2007, considering that he was playing for a new (via his opt out) contract and his power numbers spiked that year. It was a little too convenient that the years that he said he wasn't juicing were his non-Yankee years. He felt pressure in Texas, but somehow when he got to NY he no longer felt pressure? I'd love to hear Torre speak out on this one.

Posted by Charlie February 10, 09 10:25 AM
  1. BINGO!! You are dead on with everything! I was so disgusted by that misogynistic piece of scum when he degigrated Selena Roberts for doing a damn-fine piece of investigative journalism. He was petty and disingenuous. There wasn't one piece of that interview that made me think, "oh, poor guy." I came out of it hating him more than I did before the interview. He's scum!

Posted by Mary February 10, 09 10:30 AM
  1. Oh! And did you see him as he kept glancing over toward the puppetmaster???

FRAUD!! His LIFE has been a fraud!

Posted by Mary February 10, 09 10:32 AM
  1. Gotta love Gammons post interview reflections. He spoke of "spending alot of time around Alex in his career" and couldn't recall ever witnessing "such a genuine outpouring of emotion".

Peter Gammons forgot more about baseball than I'll ever know. Having said that he just provided an asterisk of his own for his impressive career portfolio. Did that "interview" even catch of a whiff of qualifying as professional jounalism?

Posted by oilcan February 10, 09 10:50 AM
  1. All you people reveling in A-Rod's down fall are a joke. You know why? Cause when the other 103 are named and messrs. Nixon or Varitek or someone like that are on it you won't be posting here about your indignation you will be MIA or at best only able to summon "yeah, but the Yankees were worse." That's all sports coverage is now a days, idiots like you guys pointing fingers, crapping on people, and enjoying someone else's misery. Constantly denigrating everything and everyone in sports. Then crying when it's down to you or your team-- "Spygate" anyone?

Posted by Orange Julius February 10, 09 12:07 PM
  1. At least it's a start. Pettite and Giambi didn't even sit down for an interview for their apologies. They had prepared statements. As sad as this sounds, this is probably the most open a player has been about this issue, save maybe Jose Cansaco. Yes, it's disappointing that he had to be caught red-handed before issuing an apology, but I am very relieved he didn't go the Bonds/Clemens route.

I'm sure he still isn't being totally honest, but like Massarotti wrote yesterday, what's the point in targeting him specifically? It's obvious that a lot more went on that we still don't know about. It's not A Rod's responsibility to name names. We need to know about those other 103.

Posted by JeffR February 10, 09 12:39 PM
  1. The article above just brings more questions to the commissioners office about what they were exactly thinking. Did they not think that this information would eventually leak? I'm sure Bud Selig and Donald Fehr knew about A-rod juicing up. I just think their is just too much greed between the two men. Hopefully Selig and Fehr get the boot for ruining the image of baseball.

Posted by John f February 10, 09 02:07 PM
  1. That is because Arod (and Clemens, for that matter) have a lot more riding on this than Pettite ang Giambi. Neither Pettite or Giambi are Hall of Famers. So nothing is at risk for them to come forward. A-Roid and Clemens are protecting their "bus pass" to Cooperstown.

Posted by Scott C February 10, 09 02:08 PM
  1. Hey Orange - that is a mistake that Yankee fans continually make. They should ALL be strung up - ALL of them. There will be some Sox out of the 103, and they will be crucified in the papers. Do you recall Mr. Canseco's "popularity" while he was here in Boston? If they are CURRENT players, they should be penalized. And they should admit it. If they are FORMER players, they got away with it, didn't they. It's the whole culture............I won't get caught, I'm A-Rod.............the fact is that he LIED, not took the drugs. They all must accept blame, if they LIE, especially on national TV, they should be vilified. You are a complete moron for your comments, don't tell me how I should feel. BTW, where is "26" today?

Posted by opk3 February 10, 09 02:10 PM
  1. I'm so tired of all of this..... let's just assume they were All on something. Who cares! I guess some people get some pleasure seeing people who have more than they do knocked down a level or two.

A-Rod doesn't owe an explanation to anyone. As far as I'm concerned.... it's his business and major league baseball's.

Let's move on people!

Posted by ken February 10, 09 02:12 PM
  1. I loved how he kept mentioning GNC, as though he were only guilty of taking a performance enhancing vitamin. So he conveniently couldn't remember what he took. uuhm, ok? Well it was a steroid of some sort and last I knew GNC was not exempt from US laws regarding selling steroids. GNC should be contacting their lawyers.

Posted by wayne February 10, 09 02:12 PM
  1. Why does anyone care a fig about major league baseball? It's a total bore. The same can't be said of AA or AAA ball. Now that's a game for baseball lovers. I hope major league baseball implodes from its crass commercialism and coverups. Give me the Portland Sea Dogs any day of the week to these overpaid creeps!

Posted by Rabbit Angstrom February 10, 09 02:14 PM
  1. Orange Julius,
    Arod, Clemens,Giambi, Petite , Until you read a news outlet or Federal agency mention a Red Sox player, shut up. You have nothing to base your pathetic statements on. The above have admitted or are about to be nailed for cheating.

Posted by bobcat February 10, 09 02:19 PM
  1. To the NYY fans that are presuming all Sox fans won't have any anger and shame toward any Sox players who are outed for PED use, I can only say that for me and all Sox fans I know personally, that simply isn't true. I don't assume that nobody on the '04 championship squad was using, and I imagine some of the '07 Sox were on HGH at one point or another. I have my list of suspects, but that's the thing—it's just suspicion at this point. As soon as an actual, specific name from the '04 or any other RS team drops, I'll be there to be angry and bitter about it, believe me. But right now, we're "singling out" A-Rod because he's the only megastar who's been outed in recent months and he's possibly the biggest possible name that could emerge in this long, sordid story. Deal with it! As things stand right now, quite a few Yankees have been nailed for PED use but no Boston players (of any consequence, at least) have been implicated. Could that change? Sure. But until it DOES change, please STFU about how hypocritical Sox fans are. And no, I don't give a rat's ass about the Patriots or Spygate. Let's talk about baseball here.

As for the interview, Gammons dropped the ball by not pressing A-Rod about any HGH use in his supposedly clean Yankee years. Let's face facts: Steroids are detectable in the framework of MLB's testing process, but HGH is not detectable via urinalysis. Juicers who were huge prior to 2004 (Giambi, A-Rod) are still huge. Gee, I wonder why...

Next time, Gammons, ask A-Rod about HGH and why anyone should believe he's not been using that since (or prior to) 2004.

Posted by tinisoli February 10, 09 02:25 PM
  1. Spot on, Eric. Gammons hasn't been a journalist for at least a decade. He just regurgitates nuggets he hears from his extensive network. He might as well be A-Rod's Press Secretary here.

Posted by Victor February 10, 09 02:27 PM
  1. "This was the most scripted interview I've seen in a long time"
    "He was petty and disingenuous. There wasn't one piece of that interview that made me think, "oh, poor guy." I came out of it hating him more than I did before the interview. He's scum! "

The only other interview that I can of that was as phony and disgusting would be Kobe's interview after he "raped" that woman in Colorado and then bought a 4 million dollar ring so his wife wouldn't walk out on his butt.

Posted by Dave G. February 10, 09 02:30 PM
  1. you people are pathetic. what exactly is it that you want? the man got popped. he admitted he did it. now you want to bitch about HOW he admitted it. get a freakin' life.

Posted by miltchocklit February 10, 09 02:35 PM
  1. Orange Julius ... or is it just OJ? Typical New Yorker who cannot claim accountability for LYING to 60 Minutes. We watch 60 Minutes for the news and the facts of the stories. Where in the world does Spygate come from ... stay focused holmes, That entire Yankee dugout is a layer of pond scum - wasn't always that way - but ever since we danced on your heads in '04 there's always going to be a smile knowing evertime 13 takes the field at Fenway he will be drilled and not for roid use .. but for LYING to the American and baseball loving public. You're a turd.

Posted by greenmawnstah February 10, 09 02:41 PM
  1. I don't care about A-Rod, A-Fraud, A-Roid or whatever you want to call him. He, along with his agent, aren't worth my time. We all would have been better served with an article about something relevant like tonight's B's/Sharks game. The fact we continue to listen to what comes out of Boras' poisoned mind (even if the words were coming from Rodriguez's mouth), is an indictment on all of us.

Posted by Chris M. February 10, 09 02:45 PM
  1. Right on, Mr. Wilbur. The interview was such a sham. Gammons seriously failed to live up to his Hall of Fame credentials. I will be ashamed of baseball journalists if someone doesn't ask A-Rod in Tampa whether he's now using HGH instead of steroids and whether he'd care to submit to a polygraph on the subject.

Posted by Erco February 10, 09 02:49 PM
  1. Arod has no character. Do anything, say anything, get what I want kind of guy. Ask his wife. He's a bum. Remember his ball swipe in the 04 ALCS? Cheap play by a cheap guy.

Posted by DBrown February 10, 09 02:52 PM
  1. A-Rod another fool. It began on the world stage with Ben Johnson . Where willit end? Maybe from the PGA in the coming years as some of their stars age.

Posted by theonz February 10, 09 02:52 PM
  1. I love it. We already got the "Let's move on people" from one poster, just waiting for the "can't we all just get along" poster......they don't get the purpose is to debate current issues......why do they even bother to read posts in these forums

Posted by Rick18087 February 10, 09 02:54 PM
  1. Don't you get the feeling now that the only baseball player telling the honest truth is Jose Canseco? He is the Woodward & Bernstein of baseball and think how derided he was by the media and other players for busting open the biggest sports scandal in the history. He had Arod pegged years ago! What a joke. And for goodness sake, the lack of leadership from the MLB is reaching absurd proportions. Time to pull the plug on this monopoly. Time for Bud Selig to step down. Time to also drop ESPN from my bookmark and put up SI.com.

Posted by Lorenzo Benet February 10, 09 03:05 PM
  1. Well, seeing as I am a Red Sox fan I am not sure why the Yankee references. That's what you get for being objective. Raise the alarm! Why yes, let's do that, let's over react and sound idiotic and "string them up." As for you bobcat, no, I won't shut up (surely you can do better than that). Me thinks some Red Sox have already been implicated, have they not. Canseco, Manny Alexander, Jeremy Giambi, Eric Gagne, Adam Piatt. Just remember, we all expect you reasonable and intelligent people back here bright and early and equally enthusiastic about this issue when any Sox player is named going forward.

Posted by Orange Julius February 10, 09 03:27 PM
  1. The complete situation has ben disected from every angle. In A-Rod's case he has admitted he is guilty-----what most do when they have no other recourse. Admittedly he never said anything til his back was up against the wall---like most people who are living a lie. Why admit guilt when you have no reason to? The only one you have to look at is yourself. I don't condone what he did--it was wrong and his apology looks contrived to me. Alex has to live with himself and whether I look past his mistakes is my choice. I do not have the power to forgive him I only have the ability to move on and let him live his life on his terms.

Posted by Everett Tracey(Avid Red Sox Fan) February 10, 09 03:59 PM
  1. The best and only true solution or response to all of these cheaters is to strip them of all of there statistics (batting and pitching), just as an Olympic medalists would be stripped of their medal(s)...a la Marion Jones and the rest of the running cheats of the past decades. I am totally disgusted with baseball, the sports media, and sports in general, over their ineptness and sheer arrogance to not properly address the steroids/PED issues over the past 30 years. Unfortunately, us fans just keep on consuming their product...just like a drug addict. Shameful!

Posted by Terry February 10, 09 04:17 PM
  1. you people are pathetic, including your idiot ring-leader in this blog eric wilbur. you would be bashing a-rod's reaction to this no matter what it was. if he denied it like clemens and bonds you'd be calling him a liar, if he didnt wanna talk about the past like mcgwire, then he would be a gutless coward. if he simply said "no comment" forever you would all be screaming for answers. so the guy comes out and admits it, even gives up a few details in a way that no other player has yet to do, and you trash him for that too.

where was all this outrage towards giambi when he apologized but never specified exactly what for? where was wilbur's blog last year tearing apart pettites even more ridiculous admission and apology piece by piece? you people are hypocrites, this is not really about right and wrong, it's not about cheating the great game of baseball, it's about finally having your golden opportunity to pile-on another hated yankees player, and kick him while he's down.

and fyi, i am a red sox fan not a yankees fan, i'm from boston, and i have detested rodriguez like a sickness all along and still do. i will never admire his accomplishments in the game now, but i do somewhat respect the way he at least had the sack to admit it and deal with the consequences. instead of denying it til the end like most all the rest of them do.

maybe for a change a star player actually opening up about baseball's dirty little secret will put pressure on those other 103 players to be open with their fans when they eventually get exposed too, and if you think not one of our beloved red sox players are on that list then you've been smoking chronic with mike phelps.

maybe a-rod getting outted will finally end up being the beginning of the end of the steroid era, and if more players are now pressured to admit their part in all of this, maybe we can finally start to have some closure to this and ultimately move on.

Posted by shawn February 10, 09 04:43 PM
  1. I guess Canseco was the real genius after all. Don't worry about "26" who is in hiding until the next time something good happens to nyy. MLB is turning into a farce, if not for Sox fandom being drilled into my head for 30 years I'd just walk away from this addiction. I just hope Papi and Pujols (so he can take a run at 763) aren't on the list of 103.

Posted by Jeff from Alexandria February 10, 09 04:44 PM
  1. : Is it just me ? Did anyone notice Reveira' s fastball pick up 4 M.P.H. lately--!!

But we all knew Afraud was juiced -- just like our 'beloved' shortstop who appeared on the cover of S.I ripped and immediately broke down within months.

Losers all.

Posted by Bobby C. February 10, 09 04:52 PM
  1. Hey Eric,
    You couldn't be more right about the A-Rods entire career. It was down right embarrasing to watch Peter Gammons ask those scripted questions and I can't believe that I would ever say this but I have lost some respect for Peter Gammons.

As for ESPN, they turned into the WWE of the sports broadcasting world some time ago..

Posted by SeanC February 10, 09 05:14 PM
  1. Eric,
    Thank you for a spot on analysis of ARod's "apology." What a joke...why should anyone believe ARod when he says he was only on steroids for three years? As Erci points out, he felt pressure in Texas, but not in NY? Are we all that blind to just accept what these overpaid, egotistical millionaires shovel at us? Correct me if I'm wrong, but why would Gene Orza supposedly warn ARod of an impending drug test in 2004 if he was already OFF the drugs?

If ARod respected the game as much as he mentions, he NEVER WOULD HAVE taken steroids. All this was was a hollow apology to satisfy the media in the hopes that the subject will slink back into the shadows. I'm absolutely amazed ARod is practically getting a free pass for having the "courage" to admit he cheated - without Ms. Roberts' report, I guess he would have continued being young and stupid. And his comment about giving back to the community is amazingly insulting - did ARod get lost these last five years? Don't even get me started about Gammons. Everyone also seems to forget that HGH is still not tested in baseball, therefore all of the current players could still be doping without the risk of being caught.

Posted by Jared February 10, 09 05:29 PM
  1. To greenmouthwash, (a) I am a Red Sox fan, I know, that is going to be hard for you to compute; (b) my point about Spygate, lost on the unintelligent among us, present company included, was that a lot of Boston fans vehemently cried foul that it was over blown and then ridiculously over blow all things A-Rod. Not to mention taking pleasure in someone's misery is weak but you don't seem evolved enough to recognize that (c) I believe it should be stay focused "homes" not "Holmes," unless you are mistaking me for a famous well endowed actor--which has happened--but I like girls so keep your distance; (d) really, A-Rod is going to be "drilled" (you might want to explore your subconscious on that choice of words) for lying? Sox fans are going to be chanting "A-liar" and not "A-Roid?" well, only time will tell but something tells me you are wrong, again...

Signed,

A never been NYer, and resdient Sox Fan, Orange Julius

Posted by Orange Julius February 10, 09 05:51 PM
  1. Thanks for the article, I felt exactly the same way as I listened. A Roid is a much more clever speaker than I would have imagined.

The only good thing that could come of this would be the Yankmees trying to nullify his contract contending his numbers were based on an illegal substance. This guy is just like Wall Street were beyond a certain high income people think they are gods, like Cesars of Rome. Money is the only thing they know. But that would save NY serious money, and we don't want that. So we'll settle for booing.

Posted by George February 10, 09 06:18 PM
  1. Eric, I am completely stunned that Peter Gammons would stoop to this level of journalism. For so many years, he wrote the best baseball column in the country for this newspaper. I guess working for a scum bag outfit like ESPN can change anyone. Also, Congress has said that Tejada committed perjury. Who are these jokers and thieves to call someone a liar!

Posted by swiftman February 10, 09 06:18 PM
  1. I guess Jeter is the best of the three young gun shortstops from the late 90s. At least, he is the only one who didnt juice. Nomar could be one of the 103 quite easily. As could Mo, Timlin, Tek, Trot, Damon, and who knows who else.

Posted by jermaine February 10, 09 06:53 PM
  1. Hang on gang. A) If ESPN had wanted to do a "grilling" it wouldnt have had Gammons do it. He does awesome research and softball interviews.
    B) Unless it were going to be a softball interview, Rodriguez would never have agreed to talk. What did you expect? Did you think he should open himself up to getting torched on national TV?
    C) What in the hell did you want him to say? If he had denied it, you would have killed him. So he admits it and you kill him for not coming forward sooner. NO ONE is ever going to admit serious wrongdoing unless their backs are against the wall. Why would they? It's self-preservation.

Posted by Tired of the hypocrisy February 10, 09 07:11 PM
  1. And a final note here.
    Let's look at what the real issue is.
    A-Rod says quit doing juice in 2003, like many guys did, when they started punishing for positive tests. So the question is... has he been doing it since.
    i dont give a damn if he was doing it back then because it does not impact whether or not the Sox win the World Series in 2009. And THAT is all I care about.
    BTW.... what happens if Big Papi is on that list.... or Varitek. oh oh.

Posted by Tired of the hypocrisy February 10, 09 07:15 PM
  1. I am somewhat relieved today to see that Peter Gammons is actually coming under some criticism in the media for that piece of puff ball journalism he took part in yesterday. I don't know if he sold out to get the exclusive interview or what, but that was ridiculous. Peter Gammons has totally lost his credibility as a respected journalist, imo. Where is Jim Gray when you need him?

Posted by angryandy February 10, 09 07:16 PM
  1. Tejada is not charged with perjury. He is charged with lying to congressional investigators. He wasn't under oath. But in any event, he's apparently wised up and is pleading guilt to the charge.

Posted by tinisoli February 10, 09 07:22 PM
  1. Jim Ed made the Hall of Fame.
    Now he looks too good compared to juicers.
    I wish Baseball would just accept it as an era, asterisk as many as possible, go Tour de France aggressive on exposing everyone and move on.

Posted by John de Sherborn February 10, 09 07:30 PM
  1. I lost respect after the hamburger-helper-hand slap on Bronson in 2004. That incident displays the kind of guy he is. No surprise to me he used 'roids. Who cares what he does anymore?

Posted by Sox for ever February 10, 09 08:42 PM
  1. I am really disappointed in Peter Gammons. I cannot believe he conducted such a "fluff" interview. HELLO, one of the steroids A-Rod used was a pretty heavy one. If you ingest it, IT DOES NOT WORK. In other words, you HAVE to stick a needle in your butt to get the benefits. Ya right, he didn't know.

The only reason he apologized was because he got caught. Makes me sick.

I guess I am prepared to get more sick because I DO think there are Red Sox on that list.

Posted by Susan February 10, 09 09:16 PM
  1. Personally I think he just switched and started using HGH with Giambi, Clemens, Lawton and the rest of the Yankees that have now admitted using or got caught.

What I do wonder is what Jeter must be thinking- wasn't it in 2001 when Alex gave that interview to GQ trashing Jeter? I wonder how Jeter feels now knowing that Alex made those comments while jucied up- would love to be a fly on the Yankees clubhouse wall this year. I also find it funny that right before Tex joins the team Alex's name is leaked- didn't they have a bad relationship when they played together in Texas? The timing is very cusios.

Posted by Jordyn February 10, 09 10:16 PM
  1. If it helps disrupt the Yankmees' clubhouse then it's all good:)

Posted by George February 10, 09 11:36 PM
  1. Orange Julius..... could you just go away you sound like a moron! Conveniently you named ex-sox who may have or may have not, but one things for certain the players you listed did not engage in these unscrupulous acts as tenured members of the Red Sox .

Posted by saswanson February 10, 09 11:57 PM
  1. Eric, I couldn't agree more. It was completely rehearsed and insincere. It's now confirmed that he his and will always be A-Fraud.
    I've never been an ESPN basher, but that was pretty weak too.

Posted by brody February 11, 09 02:01 AM
  1. I just realized that the Rockband 2 commercial with Arod (steroid user) Kobe (rapist) and Phelps (midnight toker) might be the most unintentionally funny commercial ever. If anyone has any dirt on Tony Hawk, please let me know.

Posted by Russ February 11, 09 02:44 AM
  1. Orange Julius, please go back to the mall where you belong.

Posted by Vermonter17032 February 11, 09 07:07 AM
  1. If Alex Rodriguez had given this testimonial on 60 minutes he would have been regarded almost like a hero. He would certainly have gained a lot of respect from millions of people who had none for him. However, it's just not possible with this man. A-Rod is such an A-Hole that it's gotten to the point you almost feel sorry for him. I know, how can you feel sorry for a guy making the money he makes but he's like the Red headed stepchild, every one hates him! It would have been nice to be able to say, "Wow, good for A-Rod". He came out and admitted he used steroids. He really looks genuinely sorry!" Maybe you could actually look at him and see a little good in the man. Because I don't care who you are or how you feel about any human being we all, deep down want to see or hope to see a little good in people no matter how much we loathe them. Unfortunatly, once again A-Rod missed his opportunity to maybe show people he has a little bit of desency in him. Number one it was 2 years to late but it was also a scripted and pathetic appology. It was typical A-Rod. It lacked heart, passion and credibility. I have a great family who loves me and friends who respect me. I also live cheque to cheque but I feel much richer than Alex Rodriguez. After watching this scripted interview it is painfully obvious he is what he is and he will never change.

Posted by Cloudy29 February 11, 09 07:35 AM
  1. Thank you for not making more apologies for the cheaters like Shaughnessy did today. You summed it up nicely, he cheated, then he lied about cheating, then he got caught in his lie so he gave a fake apology. If baseball had any testicular fortitude it would ban him from the game for life along with anyone else who tested positive. I don't care if it wasn't technically against the rules back then, that excuse smacks of Nuremburg - what's wrong is wrong, cheating is always cheating regardless of who's running the looney bin.

Posted by CJ Conn February 11, 09 08:21 AM
  1. Saswanson that's funny, as if being cloaked in a Red Sox uniform makes a player more altruistic? Yes, we were above it all. You prove my point in your ignorance and denial. Vermonter, riveting response, riveting. My original point is that I think it is pathetic that Red Sox fans gleefully celebrate someone else's misfortune. I stand by that. Plus, we know that majority of you have never lied or taken drugs. Oh to be among the enlightened masses...

Posted by Orange Julius February 11, 09 09:18 AM
  1. What an awful set of circumstances this is.

How can there be any Red Sox players 'of significance' on the list of 104 if the test was administered in 2003 and the entire Red Sox franchise wasn't 'of significance' until 2004? Looks like they'll get away scot-free on this one.

Posted by I don't like your baseball team February 11, 09 09:54 AM
  1. This story is not about the players, or the lying cheat Rodriguez - it's about the fans. All we want to do is watch and listen to baseball. It's all we have ever wanted to do. All of this BS is stealing what little bit of joy we can wring out of this increasingly joyless world when we go to the ballpark, have the game on at home with friends and/or family, or as we drive in the car, hit the beach or take a walk with the radio on.

All the money rained down on the players that "forced" them to take the drugs that will eventually destroy their health is part of the poison that has stolen the joy of the game. But - it's really not main issue.

It's this attitude that any player might think he is bigger than the game itself, or his "agent" - or anyone else, for that matter, who injects the dark into what is supposed to be a game of light.

When you step on the field to play a kid's game, the entire point is that you are part of a beautiful way to burn some time so that the FANS can get a break away from the harsh realities of everyday life. In that regard, the players who have and continue to detract from the "pass-time" are stealing from all of us. They steal the purity of the moments we have with our kids. They steal that sense of wonder in the kids' eyes when they go to the ballpark and see real "big leaguers" a few yards away from them. They steal the very greenness off the grass and turn the entire thing into something less sweet by injecting an undercurrent of ugliness into a pursuit that was, by design, meant to deflect ugliness.

This ongoing cavalcade of slime is going to come close to killing this game. When you flip a ball to a five-year-old and start playing catch - the idea is not that the five-year-old is going to someday sign a giant contract with a major league team. If anyone tossing that ball to that five-year-old has that in their heads - then they are a truly sick person.

No - the A Rod thing is just another example of the stench that is overpowering the beautiful smells of a summer's day at the ballpark, where you used to be able to close your eyes and think - "ah, this is heaven" - as opposed to a backdoor to something far more diminished.

Posted by John Harrington February 11, 09 10:31 AM
  1. Cheating, lying ball players. Cheating, lying bankers. Cheating, lying money managers. Cheating, lying politicians. Cheating, lying priests. Where does it end?? When Bonds broke "Bad Henry's" record, I actually wished and hoped that A-Rod would eventually crush that "record" and restore some kind of purity to the game. Where's Roy Hobbs when you need him?? Multi-millionaire ballplayers
    taking banned drugs to further augment their stats and wallets! If A-Rod, Bonds, Sosa and McGuire ever get in the HOF, can the Joe Jackson and Pete Rose be kept out??!! Is the type of cheating that Gaylord Perry admitted to worse than steriods? A "Pox on all their houses"!!

Posted by Jim February 11, 09 11:02 AM
  1. Orange -
    You are a closet Yankee fan, though you profess to be otherwise. See, Sox fans WAIT until there is actual evidence before accusing people. There IS evidence against A-Rod, so he is fair game. I will be the first to criticize any Sox players who took steroids - WHEN WE FIND OUT WHO THEY ARE!!!! Heard of innocent until proven guilty? Closet Yankee fans post big words like altruistic and deny that Yankee fans are the worst offenders of celebrating others misery - will you please go away now?? Let REAL Sox fans handle this site!!!

Posted by opk3 February 11, 09 11:52 AM
  1. OPk3, again, I am speaking to you at a level you are not capable of reaching. Nevertheless, my original point was not who will criticize, but who will hate. Are you going to gleefully enjoy and hate Sox players who are named on the list of 103? I'll answer that for you. No, you won't. That was my original point. The HATE is out of of control.

Such simple retorts, I don't agree with the sheep Red Sox fans like you so I am a closet Red Sox fan? Nope, but I am a fan of the truth, and I know the truth to be that you and the other blow hards that feel empowered (Sorry, you might need to look that one up to) by someones misfortune will be far quieter when that day comes concerning a Sox player. That's how unhappy and insecure people like you do. Message board hate is your opiate.

Posted by Orange Julius February 11, 09 03:27 PM
  1. Orange - my IQ is 130 - how about you - don't you DARE to pretend to know how I will react - I do not HATE, BTW - I am a Christian - They should ALL be bounced from the game - that is MY point., even the Sox players. 2 other points, Einstein, I did not say you were a closet Red Sox fan, I said you were a closet YANKEE fan - is reading too hard for you? #2 "That's how unhappy and insecure people like you do".... DO WHAT?? Don't pretend to tell me I am unhappy, I am very happy with my life - insecure, no more so than you who has to respond angrily to every one of the minions (that means lots) of people who would DARE to disagree with Orange the Altruistic - you are so far above me I should just go jump off a bridge -!!

Posted by opk3 February 11, 09 05:19 PM
  1. OPK3, post #12, your words, "They should ALL be strung up - ALL of them." That's not hate? How very Christian of you. Like I said, the hate is out of control, including "stringing up" people for using steroids. I rest my case...

Posted by Orange Julius February 12, 09 09:11 AM
  1. To the Great and Powerful Orange - apparently "figure of speech" is out of your reach. Hanging people went out with methinks (which is ONE word BTW). I mean, of course, as any reasonable person would say, they should be expelled from the game for cheating, lying and sending the wrong message to our children - mine included. I LOVE how you say you are above all of us, yet continue to respond to our blogs. It was YOU, sir (madame?) who wrote the first blog. If it's Ortiz, Varitek, A-Rod or Jeter, they should all be "proverbially" (need a definition?) strung up and removed from the game - YOU are the hater here, you can't even take the slightest criticism. Grow a pair!!!

Posted by opk3 February 12, 09 11:11 AM
  1. I likely excuse. The old "I said it, but I didn't mean it." Plus, "Grow a pair." Again, how "Christian." So you have now played the "I said it, but didn't mean it" card and "How dare you, I'm a Christian!" card. What's your next card from the bottom of that deck?

Posted by Orange Julius February 12, 09 11:42 AM
  1. I said it and I meant it - it was just interpreted incorrectly - only by you - see, YOU are making it personal and I am just REacting. What does "I likely excuse" mean anyway. As for you, since you have chose to make it personal on me - it is Christian to treat other people the way you expect to be treated - since you think you are God HImself, you deserve to be treated the way you have treated everyone on this blog - you have used the words insecure and immature more than once, but it is YOU who are causing all of this. You have been asked to go away, and you have shied away from the criticism on you. Yet you continue to criticize others - how hypocritical of you. You are the hater here. Ever here of "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." That is from the Bible, you see, a Book obviously unfamiliar to you. Don't presume to tell me how to think again!!

Posted by opk3 February 12, 09 12:55 PM
  1. Well, "string me up too!" Need I educate you about your own faith? A primary tenet is forgiveness. Yes indeed, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." That fits with your rant to "string em' up." Even as a figure of speech (own your words) how is that forgiving? If you lived by your religions own quote you wouldn't even be on the board ripping steroid users. You keep making my point for me, over and over, that the hate is out of control (Again. let he who is without sin cast the first stone). If this debate was a prize fight they would have stopped it. You can have the last word, however, contradictory and unchristian it may be. I have better things to do then to educate ignorant, insecure, fools...

Posted by Orange Julius February 12, 09 02:10 PM
  1. There you go making it personal again!!! Pete Rose is not in the HOF for cheating - I want baseball to be consistent, not hypocritical, you have cornered the market on that. If Pete's not in, NONE of these guys should get in, let alone have a job..........see they CHEATED and they LIED. If I cheated on my taxes and begged the IRS for forgiveness, would they do it? NO!! My point is, in case you lost me, forgiveness is not an option I want considered here. I could forgive anyone, but it doesn't matter- the decision is baseball's to make, not mine. I was offering an OPINION here, just like you offered one 2 days ago. I thought you rested you case, counselor. Apparently you can call others names and have a holier than thou attitude, but can't stand it when it is reciprocated (that means reversed!!). You have also not educated me a lick because your sarcasm and derision takes away from your OPINION - which cannot be wrong, and I respect that - but you cannot accept other peoples OPINIONS without judging people you know nothing about. Jesus hated the hypocrites.................and you are the hater!!!

Posted by opk3 February 12, 09 02:47 PM