Posted by Eric Wilbur, Boston.com Staff February 5, 2010 08:07 AM
You don't need to read another Super Bowl story, and I don't want to write a Super Bowl story.
So, on with the picks…
- Cold, Hard Football Facts: Saints 33, Colts 28. "The Colts will be pushed over by no team. They've proven that time and again this year. Coach Jim Caldwell's well-oiled victory machine is a thing of beauty to behold. But, in the end, we're going to roll the dice with the team that's looked better in the key stats that we find so near and dear."
- Tony Dungy, former Indy coach: The Colts…in a blowout. "I think they’re going to be so far ahead that people are going to say, ‘Oh, ho-hum, he played a good game, they won by two scores, the Colts won their second championship.’ He’s going to have those rings Sunday night. I don’t think it’s going to be close."
- Greg Cote, Miami Herald: Colts. "I like Sean Payton in the coaching matchup. Indy I give the defensive edge, but Dwight Freeney's injury helps offset that. With teams of this accomplishment a lot of it comes down to hunch 'n gut, and here's mine: Who Dat!"
- ESPN.com staff: Six out of eight pick the Colts.
- ESPN.com celebrity roundup: Sixty-two out of 100 celebrities surveyed pick the Colts.
- Tedy Bruschi, ESPN: Colts. "If the Indianapolis Colts win, do you celebrate or wonder?"
- CBS Sports staff: Five out of six pick the Colts vs. the 5-1/2-point spread.
- Vinnie Iyer, Sporting News: Colts 30, Saints 27. "As much as New Orleans is a sentimental favorite, for Manning and everyone else, he's also well aware of NFL history. Getting a second ring puts him in rarefied air. He won't allow that opportunity to pass him by."
- Peter Schrager, FoxSports.com: Colts 45, Saints 35. "Perhaps Bill Polian and Jim Caldwell, universally killed by the media and fans following that Week 16 loss, were right all along. Indianapolis is rested, for the most part healthy, and completely focused on the task at hand."
- USA Today staff: Six out of eight pick the Colts.
- Carrie Underwood, National Anthem singer:Saints. "Hope people don't hate me, but I'll probably be 51 percent rooting for the Saints. Sor-rrrry!''
- Boston Globe staff: They split the uprights, two go for the Colts, two pick the Saints.
- Our pick: Colts 45, Saints 38. Seeing as I picked all of one postseason game correctly last month, we're going with the Colts. Bet the Saints hard.
About the Author
Eric Wilbur is a Boston.com sports columnist who is still in awe of what Dana Kiecker pulled off that one time in Toronto. He lives in the Boston area with his wife and three children. Comments and suggestions for the best Buffalo wing spots are encouraged.