What’s next for Buchholz

After his start today, the roughest of his sterling spring, Clay Buchholz met with Red Sox manager Terry Francona about his immediate future. As expected, Buchholz will begin the year at Triple A Pawtucket unless Brad Penny is unable to make his start April 12 in Anaheim against the Los Angeles Angels, in which case Buchholz will make the start.

“If I get sent down, then I’m just going to take it as it was out of my power and they had their mind made up,” Buchholz said before meeting with Francona. “Because I don’t think I could have pitched any better than I did pitch, coming into spring training with all the expectations from last year and coming in. I feel like I did a pretty good job with it coming to this year. I’ll still being playing ball. I’ll be up in the major leagues sooner or later.”

Advertisement

Said Francona: “I’ll tell you what — I think all spring he set out to make decisions hard for us, and I mean that in a good way. He’s done a teriffic job. He’s picked up his tempo. He’s attacking with his fastball. His changeup is starting to have that old life to it. And he’s thrown some good breaking balls. We’re really pleased with him.”

Buchholz, no matter what, will start Sunday in a minor league game here in Fort Myers, Fla.

EDIT: Also, the Red Sox made an official announcement on Jeff Bailey, reassigning him to the minor league complex.