FORT MYERS, Fla. — Bobby Jenks and the White Sox are exchanging jabs again.
“A lot of the stuff with (manger) Ozzie (Guillen) and the front office gets old,” Jenks told the Chicago Tribune. “It has been a problem for a long time. It was a problem before last year. … It’s going to be nice for me to see how things are done (in Boston).”
Jenks also admitted to some hard feelings over being non-tendered.
“There’s always the business side to baseball,” he said. “But when you’ve been with a team for a long time, it’s hard not to take things personally. I definitely took things personally. I still take them personally.”
When asked about the manager’s son, Oney, ripping him on Twitter, Jenks suggested he was seeking attention.
Guillen fired back today when speaking to reporters in Arizona (these comments via Mark Gonzalez of the Tribune):
“It’s very sad because he (Jenks) knows I can easily, easily kill this kid in the paper. He’s not going to win,” he said.
• “I bet you Tito Francona isn’t going to put up with the (stuff) we put up with here.”
• “Because he did a lot of bad things last year. We lied for him. We protect him. ”
• “He (Jenks) should look in the mirror and know he’s wrong.”
• “I respect his wife. I respect his kids. I’m not even mad. I wish I was mad about it because I will rip his throat (out).
• “We don’t miss him. You ask 30 guys in there. By the way, I was asking for his phone number to talk him to about it, and nobody had his phone number. None of his (former) teammates had his phone number. That you can tell what happened. But (criticism of ) me, that’s fine. He wasn’t talking about the ballclub, he was talking about Ozzie and Kenny (Williams). I respect that.
• “Thank God he wasn’t talking about the club. If Bobby was taking about the club, I would have been everywhere on ESPN because I will rip his guts. But he was talking about me. I can take that. Just be careful of what you say about Oney because Oney will say stuff he’s not supposed to be saying. That’s just a warning for him just in case somebody don’t call him. Just stay away and don’t name Oney for this because it will be pretty ugly.”
• “He showed up once a week to pitch.”
This is sure to escalate. Jenks said a few minutes ago he didn’t think his comments were controversial or much different than anything he said before.
” I want to stay out of it,” he said.