A few notes from Terry Francona’s media session:
• Andrew Miller, Erik Bedard and John Lackey will pitch against Texas. Tim Wakefield is being pushed back to the series at Toronto. The Sox met with him today. Francona said that while he wants Wakefield to reach 200 wins, he has to think of the team first and they want Miller in the rotation.
• Don’t expect a bunch of call-ups on Thursday. J.D. Drew will be activated and a pitcher will be added from the Pawtucket roster. There are no plans for a third catcher until Ryan Lavarnway is eligible to come back.
Kevin Youkilis returns on Friday. Beyond that, call-ups will be added as needed.
• Bobby Jenks is back in Boston. He took sick again, which is why he has yet to start a rehab assignment. They’re working on what happens next.
• Francona used the word “deliberate” several times to describe Clay Buchholz’s throwing program, which started today with 25 throws from 60 feet. When the manager talks about slow and deliberate, that seems to indicate Buchholz is unlikely to pitch again this season. If he does, it almost certainly would be in relief.
• Curt Young’s father passed away and he will be away for a few days. Condolences to Curt and his family.
That’s it for now. We’ll be back with more later on.