Very interesting Hall of Fame announcement at 3 p.m. Which candidate will zoom up to 75 percent of the vote to gain entry into the Hall of Fame and join Golden Era nominee Ron Santo in Cooperstown?
1. Barry Larkin, SS, Reds – Had 62.1 percent last year. This will be his third year of eligibility.
2. Jack Morris, P, Twins, Tigers – Got 53.5 percent last season. This is his 13th year on the ballot.
3. Jeff Bagwell, 1B, Astros – Got 41.7 percent last season. This is his second year on the ballot.
4. Lee Smith, closer, Cubs, Red Sox – Got 45.3 percent last year. This is his 10th year on the ballot.
1. Edgar Martinez, DH, Mariners – He’d be the first ever fulltime DH. Got 32.9 percent last season.
2. Allan Trammell, SS, Tigers – A personal favorite. To me if Larkin gets in, Trammell should be in. This is his 11th year.
3. Mark McGwire, 1B, A’s, Cards – 19.8 percent last year. The steroid stuff has killed him.
4. Fred McGriff, 1B, Jays, Rays – 17.9 percent. Great stats but his numbers don’t seem to wow anyone.
5. Dale Murphy, CF, Braves – A bit of a surge last season, a two-time MVP who will in his 14th seson on the ballot. Very underrated guy.
6. Larry Walker, RF, Expos, Rockies – Got 20.3 percent last year. But probably doesn’t have legs to get better.
7. Bernie Williams, CF, Yankees – First time on the ballot, we’re all interested to see what his first vote total will be.