For now, the Red Sox have Clay Buchholz, Felix Doubront, and Daniel Bard lined up to face the Yankees this weekend. They would face, respectively, Ivan Nova, Freddy Garcia, and CC Sabathia.
But with the team off Thursday, Bobby Valentine indicated the Sox could have Jon Lester start Sunday on regular rest. Lester pitched two-plus innings Tuesday, throwing 80 pitches.
Lester was 2-2 with a 6.66 earned run average in five starts against the Yankees last season. He 8-3, 4.15 in 17 career starts against New York.
In other notes:
• Carl Crawford was 1 for 3 with a walk and a home run in an extended spring training game in Fort Myers, Fla. He was the DH.
• The Red Sox want Andrew Miller to get at least one more rehab appearance with Triple A Pawtucket before he is activated off the disabled list. He is scheduled to pitch Thursday.
• Daisuke Matsuzaka was in the clubhouse. He is visiting to talk to the trainers and throw a bullpen session that pitching coach Bob McClure can watch. Matsuzaka was over 60 pitches in his last extended spring outing. Matsuzaka is expected to be ready to start his rehab assignment soon.
But there is a 30-day maximum on those assignments for pitchers, so the Red Sox may wait a bit to make sure.
• Rich Hill’s rehab game with Single A Salem was rained out. He’ll try again Thursday.
• Jason Repko, an outfielder, tried warming up to pitch Tuesday night but couldn’t get loose enough to try it.