SARASOTA, Fla. — Greetings from Ed Smith Stadium. Here are some Red Sox updates:
• David Ortiz was called away to the Dominican Republic for personal reasons and will rejoin the team on Friday, manager John Farrell said.
• Felix Doubront threw a two-inning simulated game Wednesday and is ready to start on Monday.
• Alfredo Aceves was on Mexico provisional roster for the World Baseball Classic. He also was on the final roster that was released last week. But due to what seems to be some kind of administrative error, Aceves was not officially added to the Mexican roster until Wednesday. The Red Sox were as surprised as anybody to find that out.
“I don’t know how they came to it. But the notice was sent out that he has been added,” Farrell said.
Aceves is set to leave on Sunday to join the Mexican team in Arizona. Their first game is March 7 against Italy. A bigger question is whether Aceves will work as a starting pitcher or a reliever.
The Sox were initially told that Aceves would start. Now it’s uncertain.
“We were under the understanding that he would go in as a starting pitcher. That’s why we brought him [into camp] to do the same,” Farrell said. “[But] that has not been defined.”
Farrell joked that knowing how Aceves fancies himself a hitter, maybe he would play first base in the tournament.
• Aceves, Oscar Villareal (Mexico), Shane Victorino (USA) and Jose De La Torre (Puerto Rico) will leave camp on Sunday to join their respective WBC teams.
• At the request of the Twins, the Sox put together a team to play in a “B” game on Thursday at 10 a.m. The only players on the spring training roster participating will be shortstop Deven Marrero and second baseman Justin Henry.