Ortiz to appeal fine for dugout incident

HOUSTON — David Ortiz will appeal what he revealed was a $5,000 fine for taking a bat to the telephone box in the visitors dugout at Camden Yards on July 27.

Major League sources had told the Globe last week that Ortiz had received a “significant” fine.

Ortiz said he had never heard of a fine being that high and maintains that he didn’t start the series of events that led to his being ejected and then destroying the case around the phone with a bat.

Ortiz said his agents have filed the appeal.

Get the Globe's scoop on the Red Sox for free.
Get 108 Stitches, the Globe's free newsletter for Sox stats and analysis.
Thanks for signing up!