As we all know by now, few things get more attention and create more discussion, particularly online, than creating a list. NFL writer Pete Prisco, who is a senior columnist for CBSsports.com, took on the difficult task of creating his own list of the top 100 players in the league, with his list posted this week.
Prisco places five Patriots in his top 100, and not surprisingly, four of them are from the offensive side of the ball:
2. QB Tom Brady – There are no signs of slowing down anytime soon. Just keep him away from the New York Giants.
10. TE Rob Gronkowski – He emerged as the league’s best tight end in 2011 and there’s no reason why he can’t be even better. He’s too fast for linebackers and too strong for safeties.
30. DT Vince Wilfork – He is a wide load in the middle of the New England defense. But he’s also much quicker than his body would make you think. Wilfork is so athletic he moves around the New England line.
42. WR Wes Welker – He is the prototypical slot receiver, a vital part of the New England passing game. What would the New England offense be without him?
87. G Logan Mankins – He had a bad Super Bowl, playing on a torn ACL, but he is a mauler when healthy.
Additionally, TE Aaron Hernandez was named as one of 10 players who “just missed” getting a spot on Prisco’s ranking.
If you’re wondering who Prisco picked ahead of Brady, it’s Green Bay QB Aaron Rodgers. Last year, Prisco had Brady and Peyton Manning tied for the league’s best.