Here are a few of the guidelines that teams must adhere to with the new three-day negotiating period this weekend:
- Period starts at midnight on Saturday and ends at 3:59 p.m. on Tuesday. So, it’s actually about
8887 hours long (with daylight savings time begins this weekend);
- Teams can only contact the agents and enter into negotiations. No contracts can be executed until free agency starts at 4 p.m. on Tuesday;
- Teams can’t meet with players (other than the player’s current club) in any location, and there can be no direct contact between the player and another team;
- Players who don’t have an agent, such as Ravens safety Ed Reed, can’t be contacted by another team;
- No visits can be lined up until free agency starts at 4 p.m. Tuesday;
- The three-day window only applies to potential unrestricted free agents. It excludes restricted free agents and franchise players.