Sports

WR Brian Hartline opts to re-sign with Dolphins

Dolphins receiver Brian Hartline had career highs of 74 catches and 1,083 yards last season.
Dolphins receiver Brian Hartline had career highs of 74 catches and 1,083 yards last season. (AP)Credit: Elise Amendola/Associated Press

Coming off his best season, Brian Hartline decided to stay put.

The veteran receiver signed a five-year deal Friday for nearly $31 million to remain with the Miami Dolphins, his agent said. The contract includes $12.5 million guaranteed.

‘‘I’m happy; I think they’re happy,’’ Hartline said. ‘‘That’s probably the good sign of a good deal.’’

Advertisement—Continue Reading Below

Also, quarterback Matt Moore signed a two-year deal to remain as Ryan Tannehill’s backup rather than test free agency and pursue a possible starting job.

Hartline, who also could have become an unrestricted free agent Tuesday, instead opted to remain with the team that drafted him in 2009.

‘‘I believe he could have signed for more in the open market with another team, but he wanted to remain with the Dolphins for less money,’’ agent Drew Rosenhaus wrote in a text message to the Associated Press.

Working with rookie Tannehill, Hartline led Miami last season with 74 receptions for 1,083 yards, both career highs, despite missing most of the preseason because of injuries. However, he caught only one touchdown pass and has career totals of six scores in 183 receptions.

While Hartline is a solid No. 2 target, landing a top receiver for Tannehill remains the Dolphins’ foremost offseason priority, and they’re expected to court free agent Mike Wallace and possibly Greg Jennings. Miami’s wideouts combined for only three touchdown catches in 2012.

Hartline said he’d be happy to help upgrade the receiving group.

‘‘As soon as I signed, I’m like, ‘Look, let’s go recruiting now.’ So I hope I’m invited to those dinners,’’ he said.

Moore was beaten out for Miami’s No. 1 job last summer by Tannehill and played in only two games off the bench.

Panthers cut Gamble

The Panthers released starting cornerback Chris Gamble in a move that will get them under this year’s salary cap. By releasing Gamble, the Panthers will save $7.9 million. Gamble, 29, played in 123 career regular-season games with 117 starts and is the franchise’s leader with 27 career interceptions, including two returned for touchdowns. Gamble missed most of last season with a torn labrum in his shoulder . . . The Cardinals released Adrian Wilson, bringing an end to the hard-hitting, five-time Pro Bowl strong safety’s 12 seasons with the team. Wilson, 33, who had been the longest-tenured player on the team, is one of six NFL players with 25 interceptions and 25 sacks. He had 27 interceptions and 25½ sacks, including eight in 2005, which were the most ever by a defensive back . . . The Jaguars released safety Dawan Landry and cornerback Aaron Ross, veterans whose play failed to match their pay. The moves are the latest in the team’s youth movement under new general manager Dave Caldwell and coach Gus Bradley. The team previously released right tackle Guy Whimper and told veteran cornerback Rashean Mathis he would not be re-signed.

CB Robinson to KC

Former Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson reached agreement on a three-year deal with the Chiefs, a league source told ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Robinson, 30, was cut by the Falcons last week, along with veterans Michael Turner and John Abraham . . . The Cowboys offered safety Danny McCray a one-year tender worth $1.3 million, and Anthony Spencer plans to sign a franchise tag deal for $10.6 million next week, the team said on its website . . . The Cardinals used a second-round tender on former Patriots backup quarterback and restricted free agent Brian Hoyer, multiple media outlets reported . . . The Ravens terminated the contract of guard Bobbie Williams, who played in all four playoff games for the Super Bowl champions. Williams, 36, played 13 regular-season games with Baltimore after signing before the 2012 season . . . The Chargers released strong safety Atari Bigby, a day after cutting linebacker Takeo Spikes . . . The Broncos declined to offer a contract to fullback Chris Gronkowski.

Share