The Giants told center and player representative Shaun O’Hara and guard Rich Seubert they will be released.
A source close to each veteran told the Associated Press yesterday that the team told the players they would be cut tomorrow in what are salary-cap moves.
The Giants are roughly $10 million over the NFL’s new $120.4 million salary cap. The releases of O’Hara ($3.45 million in 2011) and Seubert ($2.25 million) will reduce the problem by roughly $6 million.
The Giants might also cut another offensive lineman. Tackle Shawn Andrews, who played in 13 games and started seven last season, tweeted that he and the team failed to rework the six-year, $32 million contract he signed last year.
O’Hara, 34, who was the starting center since 2004, was limited to six games last season because of ankle and foot injuries. He had surgeries on both in the offseason.
O’Hara, who played at Rutgers and is a local fan favorite, has been the Giants’ player representative in recent years and he voted in Washington Monday on the agreement that ended the 4 1/2-month lockout.
The 32-year-old Seubert probably was the Giants’ most valuable lineman last season. He moved from guard to center after both O’Hara and backup Adam Koets were sidelined.
However, Seubert suffered a major knee injury against Washington in the final game of the season when he dislocated his right knee. It was his second major injury. He broke his right leg in a game against Philadelphia in 2003.
Cowboy cuts Before the Cowboys can start to get serious about loading up their roster, they have to get under the salary cap. They got started on that by deciding to release several high-priced players. Running back Marion Barber, receiver Roy Williams, right guard Leonard Davis, and kicker Kris Brown were told they would be cut tomorrow, multiple people familiar with the decisions told the AP on condition of anonymity because the team had not made any announcements. The cuts will save the Cowboys about $16.6 million in cap room. Right tackle Marc Colombo said he was told that he, too, could be gone. His departure would free more than $2 million . . . ESPN reported the Redskins agreed to terms on a three-year, $15 million deal with receiver Santana Moss, one of their own free agents.
Hasselbeck out Tarvaris Jackson is in as the Seahawks next quarterback and Matt Hasselbeck is reportedly looking elsewhere. A person with knowledge of the situation told the AP Jackson has agreed to terms with Seattle and is expected to sign a contract Friday. Reports surfaced yesterday afternoon that the Seahawks told Hasselbeck he was no longer in their plans.