Veteran Holt won’t catch on this year
Receiver placed on IR because of knee woes
FOXBOROUGH — The abundance of receivers in camp already had limited Torry Holt’s chances at earning a roster spot with the Patriots.
Yesterday the 11-year veteran ran out of chances. The Patriots placed Holt, who missed several practices last week and didn’t play in the exhibition win over New Orleans Thursday, on injured reserve because of a knee injury.
“He is disappointed,’’ said Holt’s agent, Kennard McGuire. “He looked forward to competing and playing with another great quarterback, and playing for one of the all-time great coaches.’’
McGuire added that Holt is expected to have surgery. Holt, 34, signed a one-year, $1.7 million deal in April that could have been considered an insurance policy as the Patriots waited to see how Wes Welker recovered from offseason knee and shoulder surgeries. Once Welker was activated from the physically unable to perform list, Holt’s chances of making the team may have dwindled.
Along with Welker and Randy Moss, the Patriots have second-year receivers Julian Edelman and Brandon Tate. Rookie Taylor Price has been in the mix along with Sam Aiken, who became more involved in the offense last season. In addition, Tom Brady has rookie tight ends Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski as options.
In the first week of training camp, Holt said competing for a supporting role was a unique experience, but a scenario he accepted. Holt said he was hoping to not only boost the offense but help mentor New England’s young receivers.
“From my first year in the league to now, I’ve always taken the approach that I have to go out and make the football team. I have to go out and prove and earn my starting spot,’’ Holt said.
Holt played 10 seasons with the Rams before signing with the Jaguars last season. From 2000-2009, Holt had league highs in receptions (868) and receiving yards (12,594).
Shalise Manza Young of the Globe staff contributed to this report.