The buzz over this game has built all week. So many story lines have been dissected -- Moss vs. Revis, Tom Brady's comments about Patriots and Jets fans, pretty much anything Jets coach Rex Ryan said -- so it feels good that it's finally time for it to be settled on the field.
Speaking of field, the place of battle will be the New Meadowlands Stadium, and on first glance it's a really stellar facility. The Patriots have already played here, but that was a preseason game against the Giants. This is regular season, against a division opponent and primary rival.
We'll have updates throughout in Extra Points from the Globe's team of reporters. Here's a quick preview:
Kickoff: 4:15 p.m.
Records: Patriots 1-0; Jets 0-1
TV: CBS (Jim Nantz, Phil Simms)
Projected starting lineups (based on depth charts)
- Patriots offense: WR Wes Welker, LT Matt Light, LG Dan Connolly, C Dan Koppen, RG Stephen Neal, RT Sebastian Vollmer, TE Alge Crumpler (click here for Shalise Manza Young's "Getting to Know" feature this morning on No. 82) , WR Randy Moss, QB Tom Brady, RB Fred Taylor, RB Kevin Faulk.
- Jets offense: WR Jerricho Cotchery, LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, LG Matt Slauson, C Nick Mangold, RG Brandon Moore, RT Damien Woody, TE Dustin Keller, QB Mark Sanchez, FB Tony Richardson, RB Shonn Greene.
- Patriots defense: LE Gerard Warren, NT Vince Wilfork, RE Mike Wright, OLB Tully Banta-Cain, ILB Jerod Mayo, ILB Gary Guyton, OLB Rob Ninkovich, LCB Darius Butler, RCB Devin McCourty, S Brandon Meriweather, S James Sanders.
- Jets defense (updated, 3:16 p.m.): E Shaun Ellis, NT Sione Pouha, T Mike DeVito, OLB Bryan Thomas, WILL Bart Scott, MIKE LB David Harris, OLB Jason Taylor, CB Darrelle Revis, CB Antonio Cromartie, S Jim Leonhard, S Eric Smith.
Patriots: WR Taylor Price, CB Terrence Wheatley, LB Dane Fletcher, OL Steve Maneri, OL Quinn Ojinnaka, DL Brandon Deaderick, T Nick Kaczur, RB/WR Danny Woodhead.
Jets: QB Kellen Clemens (3d QB), RB Joe McKnight, OL Vladimir Ducasse, T Patrick Brown, TE Jeff Cumberland, DT Marcus Dixon, DT Howard Green, LB Calvin Pace.
The all-time series: Unless there’s a tie, one team will take the lead in the series between these rivals. Right now, it stands 50-50-1. They split last season, but the Patriots have won 12 of the last 15 games. The last time the Patriots swept the season series from the Jets was 2007.
Beyond Moss vs. Revis: While the matchup between Patriots receiver Randy Moss and Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis is the main event within the game, the undercard features some good bouts. Among them:
- Jets defensive front vs. Patriots offensive line: Both sides have key figures missing (Jets -- Kris Jenkins, Patriots -- Logan Mankins and Nick Kaczur), but they're both formidable with the personnel they bring today.
- Patriots defensive backs vs. Jets receivers: Cornerbacks Darius Butler and Devin McCourty, a second-year man and a rookie, face Jerricho Cotchery and Braylon Edwards. While quarterback Mark Sanchez's passing ability remains suspect, how Butler and McCourty defend the passes he does let sail will be worth watching.
- Patriots defensive front vs. Jets' running game: Despite being benched Monday night for a case of fumble-itis, Jets coach Rex Ryan reiterated his support for RB Shonn Greene this week. LaDainian Tomlinson proved he still has something left in relief of Greene last week, so Vince Wilfork and the rest of the guys up front will face a steady diet of rushes.
Officials: The referee today is Ed Hochuli. The rest of his crew is umpire Chad Brown, head linesman Mark Hittner, line judge Tom Symonette, field judge Craig Wrolstad, side judge Ron Torbert, and back judge Don Carey.