Posted by Greg A. Bedard January 25, 2011 01:53 PM
MOBILE, Ala. – Some quick hits through the first three practices of Senior Bowl week:
- Boston College OT Anthony Costanzo said he’s been working with respected offensive line coach Tom Lovat (Packers, Seahawks among others) while training with IMG in Sarasota, Fla. It has helped him as several scouts think his feet have been better than what he showed during the season. Lovat helped Bryan Bulaga before he was picked by the Packers late in the first round last year. Costanzo worked some at guard today and wasn’t sharp;
- Hearing that Boston College LB Mark Herzlich has disappointed a little bit with his quickness and explosion. Likely will limit how many schemes he’ll fit in at the NFL level;
- The Patriots must be taking a strong look at DEs Cameron Jordan (Cal) and Christian Ballard (Iowa). Both have been exceptional so far. They are almost identical in size (6-4 1/8, 288 pounds) and can hold the additional 20-25 pounds to make they solid 3-4 DEs. Of course, they both could play inside in the 4-3 so they will be in high demand.
- Purdue OLB/DE Ryan Kerrigan (6-4, 255) is going to need to show more holding the point to play outside in a scheme like the Patriots’.
- Really like Nebraska WR Niles Paul (6-1, 225). Not only is he thick and can break tackles, but he has good explosion and can get separation. Little concerned that his hands only measured 8 5/8. Then again, I don’t think Deion Branch’s are much bigger. Good blocker.
- Of the North QBs, Colin Kaepernick (Nevada) has been the most impressive. Has a big arm and after playing mostly out of the pistol formation in college, he looked pretty natural taking snaps under center.
- WR Titus Young (Boise State) can fly at 5-11, 174 but has showed questionable hands.
- Wisconsin OT Gabe Carimi played mostly guard today;
- Heard former Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar has been poking around the Patriots the past couple weeks. He hopes to get into coaching.
- Michigan G Stephen Schilling (6-4, 302) is getting a lot of attention. He plays with a nasty streak and has some versatility.
OK, off to the South practice.