Good morning. Here is your PDB for Saturday, July 30, 2011. It contains all the links, info, analysis and occasional humor that you'll need to start your day. If you can't detect sarcasm or take yourself and/or football too seriously, this may not be your thing.
NOTE: This is going to be brief. Late night at the office plus early practice equals me filling this out later.
WHAT'S ON TAP
- 8:30-11 a.m. practice.
- Coach Bill Belichick, receiver Chad Ochocinco and defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth available to the media after practice.
To be announced. Patriots have not released the schedule for any further practices.
- Ochocinco was on the practice field, wearing No. 85.
- All six veteran cuts saved the Patriots $12.88 million in base salary alone, writes Shalise Manza-Young.
- Dan Shaughnessy writes that the Ochocinco and Haynesworth deals show the Patriots will take a chance on anyone now.
Strap yourselves in, Patriots fans. Free agent frenzy is just getting started and - given Haynesworth’s rap sheet - the Patriots have sent the message that they’ll take a chance on anyone with talent. This means there might still be room for Pacman Jones, Dave Meggett, and Manny Ramirez. Too bad The Juice is behind bars.
- Amalie Benjamin has more details on Haynesworth's pending misdemeanor sexual assault trial.
- Tom Brady says the foot feels good, and he's ready to go.
AROUND THE DIVISION
Here's the tally so far:
PATRIOTS--Additions: WR Chad Ochocinco (pending trade), DE Albert Haynesworth (pending trade). Subtractions: OLB Tully Banta-Cain, DB Tony Carter, DL Marcus Stroud, DL Ty Warren, TE Alge Crumpler, OL Nick Kaczur. Re-signings: RB Sammy Morris..
JETS--Additions: P Chris Bryan (Bucs). Subtractions: OL Damien Woody (retirement), QB Mark Brunell (release), CB Will Billingsley (waivers), G Marlon Davis (waivers), P Steve Weatherford (Giants), CB Drew Coleman (Jaguars). Re-signings: RT Wayne Hunter, S Eric Smith, QB Mark Brunell (re-structure).
Looks like Rexy has some work to do.
DOLPHINS: Additions: RB Reggie Bush (trade with Saints), LB Jason Trusnik (Browns), QB Matt Moore, LB Kevin Burnett (Chargers). Subtractions: QB Tyler Thigpen (Bills), LB Channing Crowder. Re-signings: DL Tony McDaniel.
BILLS: Additions: QB Tyler Thigpen (Dolphins), WR Brad Smith (Jets). Subtractions: LB Paul Posluszny (Jaguars). Re-signings: CB Drayton Florence.
- Real classy cover from the NY Daily News after the Jets lost out on CB Nnamdi Asomugha.
- After being spurned, the Jets are now saying 'We love you man!' to CB Antonio Cromartie.
- Safety Eric Smith re-signed. Rob Gronkowski probably walked around with his shirt off to celebrate.
- And important yet under-publicized move: punter Steve Weatherford is gone, so the team signed Chris Bryan. He was in camp with the Packers but lost the competition. He's decent. One of those Aussie nose-down punters. Last year was his first in American football. He played Aussie rules.
- Mark Cannizaro says not landing Asomugha may be a good thing for the Jets. OK, I'm listening.
- Never thought I'd see the day when acquiring Kyle Orton would be tougher to get done than the budget talks, but apparently it is.
- Reggie Bush is ready to be a feature back. We have yet to hear from his body, however.
- Dave Hyde is soooo psyched the Dolphins got Matt Moore.
- The best quotes from released Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder.