Good afternoon. Here is your PDB for Friday, Aug. 12, 2011. It contains all the links, info, analysis and occasional humor that you'll need to go about your day. If you can't detect sarcasm or take yourself and/or football too seriously, this may not be your thing.
WHAT'S ON TAP
- No practice.
- 4 p.m. - Coach Bill Belichick holds a conference call with the media.
- 1:30-4:00 p.m., practice
- 1:30-4:00 p.m., practice
And Patriots Experience for the kiddies has been brought back by popular demand. So bring them on down.
Will have much more on last night's game when I get through the TV copy of it.
- Not starters, no problem. Patriots brought it to the Jaguars 47-12.
- There were 16 NFL scouts to watch the Patriots take the field for the first time in 2011. The consensus on the new defense? Trending towards a 4-3 under front, which is similar to the Elephant scheme the Patriots used with Willie McGinest. Some of the Patriots' personnel should really flourish in it, when all is said and and done.
- Taylor Price continued to play very well, just like he has in practice.
- Special teams are a work in progress.
- Logan Mankins got P.A.I.D. Somebody needs to explain to me why this couldn't have happened in the uncapped year.
- Game photos are here.
- You have to watch the video Steve Silva shot asking fans why Chad Ochocinco should stay with them. Classic.
- Chris Gasper gave his thoughts on the game.
- Video of Hoyer.
- Belichick: "We've got a long way to go"
- My late-night thoughts on the game.
AROUND THE DIVISION
Here's the tally so far:
PATRIOTS--Additions: WR Chad Ochocinco (trade), DE Albert Haynesworth (trade), DL Steve Williams, OL Jonathan Compas, OL Chris Morris, DE Mark Anderson (Texans), DL Shaun Ellis (Jets), DE Andre Carter (Redskins), OL Mark Wetterer (Bengals). Re-signings: LT Matt Light, LG Logan Mankins, RB Sammy Morris, RB Kevin Faulk, LB Tracy White, DT Gerard Warren. Subtractions: OLB Tully Banta-Cain, DB Tony Carter, DL Marcus Stroud, DL Ty Warren, TE Alge Crumpler, OL Nick Kaczur, LB Anthony Leonard, LB Ryan Coulson, QB Jonathan Crompton, RB Thomas Clayton, DE Marlon Favorite, S Brandon McGowan, S Jarrad Page, CB Thad Turner, S Ross Ventrone.
JETS--Additions: WR Plaxico Burress, P Chris Bryan (Bucs), CB Donald Strickland (Chargers), WR Derrick Mason, DE Cody Brown (Lions), TE Keith Zinger (Falcons). Re-signings: CB Antonio Cromartie, WR Santonio Holmes, RT Wayne Hunter, S Eric Smith, K Nick Folk, T Robert Turner, QB Mark Brunell, S Brodney Pool, LB David Herron. Subtractions: WR Brad Smith (Bills), OL Damien Woody (retirement), CB Will Billingsley (waivers), G Marlon Davis (waivers), P Steve Weatherford (Giants), CB Drew Coleman (Jaguars), OLB Jason Taylor (Dolphins), WR Jerricho Cotchery, DL Shaun Ellis (Patriots), WR Braylon Edwards (49ers).
DOLPHINS: Additions: RB Reggie Bush (trade with Saints), LB Jason Trusnik (Browns), QB Matt Moore (Panthers), LB Kevin Burnett (Chargers), DL Ronald Fields (Broncos), LB Jason Taylor (Jets), OT Marc Colombo (Cowboys), OL Ray Willis (Seahawks), QB Kevin O'Connell. Re-signings: DL Tony McDaniel. Subtractions: QB Tyler Thigpen (Bills), LB Channing Crowder (retirement), LB Tim Dobbins.
BILLS: Additions: QB Tyler Thigpen (Dolphins), WR Brad Smith (Jets), DL Lionel Dotson (Dolphins), LB Nick Barnett (Packers), WR Buster Davis (Chargers). Re-signings: CB Drayton Florence, LB Garrison Sanborn, TE Scott Chandler, RB Bruce Hall. Subtractions: LB Paul Posluszny (Jaguars), S Donte Whitner (49ers).
- WR Plaxico Burress returns. Sort of. He's almost turning in the Loch Ness Monster at this point. "Have you seen him? I saw him. He was like 8-feet tall and could catch every pass thrown to him."
- Jets got a scare when Nick Mangold went down.
- Hey, the annual "This could be a really big year for Dustin Keller" stories.
- The Dolphins chose Jake Long over Matt Ryan. We know how that has gone. Put it right up there with "Drew Brees or Daunte Culpepper." The Dolphins should do like George Costanza when it comes to the quarterback position. Do the opposite of what your gut tells you.
- Dolphins haven't finalized their radio plans after the death of the great Jim Mandich.
- The incident involving Brandon Marshall was, um, bizarre.