Posted by Greg A. Bedard December 11, 2011 02:46 PM
LANDOVER, Md. Ė Some halftime thoughts:
- Patriots look discombobulated in every phase of the game right now.
- On offense, Jim Haslett dials up the kind of packages that have given the Patriots problems this year: ability to pressure and play physical man coverage underneath. Itís an entirely different game than the Coltsí soft zone last week.
- On defense, the same stuff continues to happen with breakdowns in the secondary and theyíre also getting gashed by the Redskinsí zone runs. Thank goodness for LBs Jerod Mayo, Dane Fletcher, and Tracy White, who are flying around the ball.
- Devin McCourty had a terrible pass interference call on third-and-18 and his struggles continue in coverage though the Patriots are playing so much zone coverage, Iím not sure how much is his fault. Still, at the least, he can make some plays on the ball.
- Chad Ochocinco showed some life by running a terrific route to pick up a big third down. It was his best route of the season by far.
- Rob Gronkowski continues to amaze. He canít be covered.
- Aaron Hernandez has played gimpy the entire game. He also had a big TD drop.
- The refs are too involved in this game. The roughing call against Andre Carter and the personal foul by London Fletcher were bad. Let the guys play.
- Patriots need to spread the offense out in the second half and throw quick passes. The pressure is getting home. Bradyís taking too many shots.
- On defense, the linebackers must get better drops in zone coverage.
News, analysis and commentary from the following Boston Globe and Boston.com writers:
Tweets from @GlobePatriots/boston-com-patriots