Posted by Greg A. Bedard March 20, 2012 05:43 PM
Catching up on a few things:
- Patriots quarterback Tom Brady released a statement on his Facebook page about Peyton Manning officially joining the Broncos: "I have a lot of respect for Peyton Manning as a person and as a player. He is a great role model and always puts the team first. And he is a great leader and representative for the NFL. Like always, it will be fun to compete against him this year when the New England Patriots play the Denver Broncos."
- Patriots free agent end Mark Anderson visited the Ravens today, following previous travels to the Titans and Dolphins. Anderson received some initial interest from the Jaguars, but Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times-Union reported the team "is not in the running right now." The Patriots and Anderson would like to make something work, but as has always been the case, he's going to have set his own market.
- Running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis is in the same boat. After visiting the Bengals, the NY Post reported the Jets have shown some initial interest.
- Safety LaRon Landry, who had visited the Patriots, signed with the Jets and offered a brief comment on his contact with the Patriots: "The meeting went well, but my heart was with the Jets,” he said. The Patriots didn't offer Landry a contract.
- ESPN's Adam Schefter did not name the Patriots among the four teams that he heard have had some sort of discussions about trading for Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow.
- Status quo on the possible addition of Chargers DE Luis Castillo, who visited the Patriots. They've had good talks, but that's about it.
- Coach Bill Belichick was spotted at the South Florida pro day.
- The Patriots officially announced the signings of DT Jonathan Fanene, WR Brandon Lloyd and TE Daniel Fells, and the re-signing of C Dan Connolly.