< Back to front page Text size +

Report: Wes Welker says contract talks with Patriots have 'gotten worse'

Posted by Steve Silva, Boston.com Staff  May 17, 2012 01:20 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

It doesn't look like a long-term deal between the Patriots and wide receiver Wes Welker will be coming anytime soon.

Welker, who signed a $9.5-million franchise tender earlier this week, said that talks with the team have taken a turn for the worse, according to the Boston Herald.

“There have been talks, but nothing that’s brightened anything at all,” Welker told the Herald's Karen Guregian. “It’s actually gotten worse.”

According to Welker, the Patriots have reduced the two-year, fully guaranteed $16-million offer that was originally on the table in 2011.

Welker said he signed the $9.5 million tender early because he didn't want to miss any preparation for next season.

“If they see me out there at OTAs and minicamps and everything else, and I’m still out there winning and doing what I need to do to help the team win, you know what, the ball’s in their court to make something happen,” Welker said. “That’s kind of my mindset. To go out and show them I deserve it...”

“The ball’s in their court. I just want to play,” he said. “At the end of the day, if it’s one year, $9.5 million, it’s one year, $9.5 million. I’m good with that.”

News, analysis and commentary from Boston.com's staff writers and contributors, including Zuri Berry and Erik Frenz.

NFL video

Watch Patriots analysis and commentary by CineSport

browse this blog

by category
archives