FOXBOROUGH - Here is a quick rundown of practice attendance and headlines after the first practice.
We'll be back later with a full rundown of what transpired, though it will be limited because the first three days are no in pads.
Shells (soft pads)
Reserve/did not report: RG Brian Waters.
Physically unable to perform: LG Logan Mankins (knee), RT Sebastian Vollmer (back), C Nick McDonald (unknows), OT Markus Zusevics, TE Daniel Fells (shoulder), TE Jake Ballard (knee), DT Myron Pryor (shoulder), WR Jeremy Ebert (hamstring).
Red jerseys: WR Matthew Slater, S James Ihedigbo,
Not participating: S Nate Ebner (unknown)
- TE Rob Gronkowski was not in a red jersey, which identifies players who are limited, so he was full go.
- With numbers limited, the starting offensive line was LT Nate Solder, LG Ryan Wendell/Robert Gallery, C Dan Koppen, RG Dan Connolly, RT Marcus Cannon.
- The defense was largely unchanged from the off-season practices.
- Brandon Spikes was very limited and Dane Fletcher continued to take the middle linebacker reps.
- Ras-I Dowling was the first corner off the bench in sub packages.
- First-round picks Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower continued in reserve roles.
- Jones looks much more impressive physically in pads than he did in a t-shirt during off-season practices. Surprisingly, Jones was not in the mix during 11-on-11 for a while, but then emerged as the first-round RDE in subpackages.
- Overall, the operative word on the defensive line is tinkering. Players were moved all over the line.
- Kyle Arrington was among those to take kickoff returns.
- Will Allen played a lot of safety.
- New TE Visanthe Shiancoe was in the mix immediately. Looked pretty good but had trouble with his footing at times.