FOXBOROUGH – Quick thoughts on this afternoon's practice:
Reserve/did not report: RG Brian Waters.
Exempt/left team: FB Tony Fiammetta.
Physically unable to perform: RT Sebastian Vollmer (back), OT Markus Zusevics (unknown), TE Daniel Fells (shoulder), TE Jake Ballard (knee), DT Myron Pryor (shoulder).
Continued to be out: CB Alfonzo Dennard (hamstring), LB Tracy White (unknown), TE Visanthe Shiancoe (unknown), DT Jonathan Fanene (unknown), FB Spencer Larsen (unknown), OT Matt Kopa (leg), OT Kyle Hix (right shoulder), TE Rob Gronkowski (unknown), WR Britt Davis (shoulder), FB Eric Kettani (unknown), CB Malcolm Williams (unknown), S James Ihedigbo (unknown), LB Dane Fletcher (left knee), DT Gerard Warren (unknown).
New injuries: TE Aaron Hernandez (unknown), WR Brandon Lloyd (unknown - was stretching his groin).
Limited in practice: LG Logan Mankins (right knee - no team drills).
WR Julian Edelman (hand) was attended to but returned.
- No Hernandez and Lloyd left the Patriots will just two TEs (converted DL Alex Silvestro and Tyler Urban), zero FBs and short-handed at WR.
- The practice was heavy on preparation -- a lot of work against cards for both units. Did look look like preseason prep. It was likely a regular-season opponent that runs a tradtional 3-4.
- Good practices for Julian Edelman and Deion Branch.
- Nick McDonald got a lot of first-team reps at RG in place of Dan Connolly. Think they're trying to figure out McDonald's best position. He was signed during last season and missed the early part of camp.
- Dan Koppen was back with the starting line and had a very nice one-on-one session.
- RT Marcus Cannon was poor in one-on-ones and was really hearing it from Dante Scarnecchia in team drills.
- There was also an extended deception period, which works on misdirection runs, screens, reverses and trick plays.
- Saw the QB bucket drill for the first time. None of them put it in, and Ryan Mallett didn't come close to hitting the bucket.
Will be back with more.